Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2008, 09:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Reviews on 12 mm or 14 mm Laminates in fitness area

The flooring will be used over approx 1400 sq ft of space for a small fitness studio. No heavy cardio/fitness machinery, heavy weights, or equipment...mainly going to be doing yoga type classes. But people will be sweating a little bit. Stylish fitness studio catering to female clientele...not typical gym with rubber flooring and heavy weight lifters.

I'm currently looking at these options:
12 mm laminate by Toklo (licensed by Pergo),
12 mm laminate by Lamton,
12 mm piano finish high gloss laminate by Vanier, or
14 mm laminate by Toklo.

Planning on also using accoustical foam with moisture barrior 3 in 1 underlayment.

It is on the second floor of a commercial building with fairly level floors....no weird angles. Northern California moderate climate. Currently has the most ugliest mauve carpet I have seen since the 80s...but very high quality thick white wood baseboards. Planning on maybe using a quarter round with the base boards so I can keep them.

Anyone have any advice about the laminate? Is it stupid to try to use it in this type of area, even with the 12 or 14 mm thick stuff?

sanramonvalleyfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:53 AM   #2

Although I was hoping someone would have responded... I have decided to go with the Toklo 12 mm AC5 rated laminate. It has a 15 year commercial warranty (lifetime residential also) and states to be better at repelling moisture. I found it here for $1.57 sqft.

http://flooring.builddirect.com/Lami..._10068424.aspx

I am planning to use cork underlayment sheets and a 3 in 1 barrier. Is this overkill?

The accoustical underlayment barrier I'm using is accoustical foam with moisture barrier 3 in 1. Don't really have too much info on it...just that it is sold with the Toklo flooring through the Build Direct site @ $.30/sq.ft.

I was additionally planning to use cork underlayment sheets. The cork underlayment sheets I'm planning on using are 6mm 2'x3' sheets @ @.60/sq/ft. I could also use the 3mm sheets instead @ $.49/sq.ft...or no cork sheets at all and only use the 3 in 1 barrier. Just trying to make it less noisy for the chiropractic office below me, but the cork isn't really necessary. Any advice?

Since no one seems to know about Toklo flooring....I'll update you on how it works out. I feel pretty good about the 12mm thickness, AC5 rating, & price.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:09 AM   #3

Hey also...how much extra laminate should I buy?
The space is actually 1252 sq. ft. I was planning on buying 1400 sq ft of laminate and cork. But would 1300 sq ft be enough? Thanks!
Old 12-07-2009, 12:21 AM   #4

Hi sanramonvalleyfitness,

It has been awhile since your last post. Have you actually installed Toklo floor?
How does it wear?
How does it react to water any bulging?
Was it easy to install?

Thanks
kg555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:29 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Floors for fitness is a different thing and you should get a laminate designed for it.
IceT is offline   Reply With Quote