Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #1

Share |

Reusing solid oak planks for closet - nail or glue?

I recently remodeled the master bath and part of that process was removing about 40 sq ft of oak hardwood flooring. The original tile was still underneath, with a subfloor powdered in, sheet of plastic, then the oak nailed to the subfloor. I managed to get most of the pieces up without any significant damage, and numbered them all so I know the order they were laid in.

I also recently moved my HVAC up into the attic, and reclaimed a closet approxmately 4 feet deep by 3 feet wide, which has just the concrete slab floor in it.

Apparently the economy is great, and flooring companies around me are doing great, because everyone says the job is too small, and they're just interested in refinishing my entire house. So instead, I want to use some of that bathroom flooring for the closet.

I don't want to buy a powder gun, so I'm thinking I'll glue the subfloor down to the slab first. Here are my questions for the rest:
  • I want to glue the whole thing down - planks and all. I don't want to buy a powder gun for the subfloor, and it's just a closet. Also, it's temporary. Eventually we'll have the house refinished, and we will have the closet redone. Bad idea?
  • How important is the sheet of plastic? The slab is 30 years old - plastic will ruin my gluing idea.
Thanks!

spidrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
Floor Installer

I would glue it. In a space that small you would have to face nail almost all if you nail it in.

sam floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam floor View Post
I would glue it. In a space that small you would have to face nail almost all if you nail it in.
Great news!

What do I do about the moisture barrier? Is it not as much of a problem on a slab that has cured for 30 years or should I slap some RedGuard on the subfloor or something?
spidrw is offline   Reply With Quote