Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #1

Share |

Resurfacing garage floor

Hello all. Long time reader first time poster! I have undertaken the task of finishing my garage (insulation, drywall, paint, shelves, etc...). My wife is now interested in me epoxying the floor since it looks so old compared to the rest of the garage. The floor is 30 years old but not in too bad of shape. There are a bunch of shallow pock marks and very minor cracking. I would like to resurface with some sort of self leveling material before applying the epoxy paint...

Do I have to repair the pock marks before I use the resurfacing material or will it take care of those marks by itself? Any advice for a noob DIYer would be greatly appreciated. I want to do it right the first time!

Thanks!
huskie92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #2

Resurfacing garage floor

Any thin coating is going to fail.
If it was mine I would fill the pock marks with hydrolic cement and use the kit that Rustolium sells for garage floors.
It's a two part epoxy, if you want you can use the colored chips that come with it to fancy it up.
I've used it on a porch floor in a high traffic area and in a converted garage that's now a kids play room. Both have held up great.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #3

Resurfacing garage floor

Thanks for the reply... What is the difference between hydraulic cement and that self leveling stuff that quickcrete sells?
Old 08-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #4

Resurfacing garage floor

So I did a little research and basically hydraulic cement is a fast setting repair material. Would I need to do anything else after patching with the hydraulic cement?