Reply To Rusty Baker - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
me1

Rewards Points: 10

reply to rusty baker

Granted you do not move appliances but it leaves impressions with a fairly light kitchen table and even lighter kitchen chairs. So every time you want to sit and eat something when you move your chair out you want to make sure it is put back in the depression it leaves? My installer (who has been installing floors for 25 years) said he would never recomend this to anyone.

Advertisement

me1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,318

reply to rusty baker

I have installed hundreds of yards of IVC vinyls with no complaints. The only one I ever saw with depressions from lightweight objects was when the installer used too much adhesive.

Advertisement

rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

reply to rusty baker

In agreement with the too much glue comment, that will cause it for sure. And you will have permanent dents.
JCW355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 42

reply to rusty baker

Yep, that happened when I used too much adhesive installing my own vinyl floor. I'm no installer but I learned not to do that again.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:21 AM   #5
me1

reply to rusty baker

In all fairness regarding flexitech flooring you can hardly be unbiased since you work for them in some capacity
Old 09-22-2010, 08:03 AM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer

reply to rusty baker

I don't work for them. I am an indepenent contractor. Until last monrh, I installed many different floor coverings for almost 40 years. Just trying to tell you that it is possible that your installer made a mistake. Too much adhesive is a common mistake with those products. Did he spread the adhesive with a short nap paint roller? That is what they require.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
me1

reply to rusty baker

He did use a short nap paint roller and it couldn't have been put on much thinner.(Sorry about thinking you worked for them I thought you did an installation video using their product) . I am still disappointed in the product and would never use it again. Any advantages (which I cannot think of any) don't outweigh the disadvantages. The salesman at flooring warehouse did not discuss anything about the product before it was purchased. I also spoke to a 30 year installer and he said he could not see this product lasting very long.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
Pro Flooring Installer

reply to rusty baker

I consider IVC vinyls, laminate, allure etc temporary floor coverings. They will no way last 30 years or more like the old products. But they are primarily sold as DIY friendly and most people don't stay in the same house more than a few years anymore. The companies that make the IVC vinyls must consider them temporary, too. One of the selling points is how easy it is to remove them. I still see vinyls in local homes that were installed in the 70's that look great but are just out of style. I also see wool carpets that are 30 years old that are in great shape.

Last edited by rusty baker; 09-22-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:36 PM   #9
me1

reply to rusty baker

When I do replace the flexitech flooring with regular flooring will the glue used for this flooring interact with the standard adhesive people use to glue the regular ( older type vinyl flooring) or will it have to be removed somehow or have new underlay put on.I have been in my house 25 years and plan to be here till I pass away. So I just wasted $900.00 putting this stuff in.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:56 PM   #10
Pro Flooring Installer

reply to rusty baker

To be honest, I am not sure if regular adhesive will stick to PSA. IVCs haven't been out long enough for me to ever pull any.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:23 PM   #11
floor_whore

Rewards Points: 75
Send a message via Yahoo to Aaroncarpet

reply to rusty baker

when spreading glue for vinyl it is very important to have clean troweling and not to overlap the glue where the vinyl is flipped....a lazy installer may not apply enough pressure from the trowel to the floor and leave a puddle behind....I always spread, inspect and clean my ridges if I was careless or too quick on the spread....flexitech interflex, the perimeter glued vinyl???? the main reason you will have problems with interfkex perimeter glue vinyl is that the installer did not install the vinyl quickly enough after it was unrolled and if the perimeter glue isn't spread or transferred properly you will get bleeding and shrinkage

Last edited by Aaroncarpet; 09-22-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Aaroncarpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:38 PM   #12
Pro Flooring Installer

reply to rusty baker

Flexitec isn't perimeter glue. It is either loose-lay or full spread with a PSA. And the adhesive is to be applied with a short nap paint roller.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:45 PM   #13
floor_whore

reply to rusty baker

I have run across Rusty in several threads....and he is what us floor coverers considered to be a warrior....he has crawled more miles on his knees than you can fathom.....he has trimmed hundreds of miles of walls...he has spread thousands of gallons of adhesive, he can't even remember half of the work he did.....Peace Rusty....It takes a certain determination to get a floor done right and in a timely fashion....Places like lowe's and HD are trying to tell people they can do all this stuff....and you can, and you will buy flooring more frequently, and have many lost weekends to home improvement. Floor coverers Like Rusty have seen so many things that they can adapt and take appropriate measures....If you are not an experienced floor coverer and you do your own floor....be prepared to do your floor again before you planned to....
Tom Struble (09-22-2010)
Old 09-22-2010, 08:46 PM   #14
floor_whore

reply to rusty baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
Flexitec isn't perimeter glue. It is either loose-lay or full spread with a PSA. And the adhesive is to be applied with a short nap paint roller.

that sounds worse than cheap vinyl......thanx for the info Rusty

Saving money is important...but you use your floor more than your tooilet, fridge stove, when I recommend Vinyl I tell my customers to spend no less than $25 US per square yard on material.....
PSA .... peach glue

Last edited by Aaroncarpet; 09-22-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Aaroncarpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:16 AM   #15
Pro Flooring Installer

reply to rusty baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieLewis View Post
I have doing last 5 years flooring, there is no complaints.
There are complaints with every product. Ask some floor covering inspectors. There have been problems.

Advertisement