Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Replacing Vinyl Kitchen Tile

I am finally getting around to replacing an older worn checkered pattern 12" vinyl tile flooring in my kitchen/laundry area. I was thinking of either replacing it with just new vinyl or possibly ceramic tile. The issue is my house is older (1923) and has had some settling and I am sure the wood floor (under the vinyl tile now) moves a fair amount. Would you guys just recommend sticking with the vinyl and if so do you know of any good brands? Everything I find on the black/white vinyl flooring usually has bad reviews so if you know of any decent brands, preferably that I can get at a home improvement store like home depot or lowes.

connor016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

If you post more information on your sub-floor (material, thickness, joist information etc), there are people here who can figure out your deflection rate and tell you if it is adequate for tile. More than likely you would need to beef up your sub-floor before tile could be an option.

Do you have your heart set on vinyl squares? In your shoes I might consider a good quality sheet vinyl.

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:56 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

I would have to reinspect things to get all that information but I do like the look of the checkerboard black/white with my more vintage/farmhouse style kitchen and don't really want to beef up the subflooring with concrete backerboard for ceramic tile. Plus I don't like the feel of a cold tile floor. I think the simplest approach will be replace it with another black/white tile but I can't seem to find a good manufacturer.
connor016 is offline   Reply With Quote