Replacing Tile With Laminate - Bad Idea? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2008, 10:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing tile with laminate - Bad idea?

We recently returned from out of town to find that every room in our house was flooded due to a burst pipe. All of the flooring in the house needs to be replaced. We are displaced and have two young children and another on the way (high risk pregnancy). We need to get back in our home as soon as possible so we are trying to move quickly but we don't want to make any bad choices.

Right now our entire house is tile with the exception of the three bedrooms which are carpet. I hate tile and I want to put down wood flooring but we are being advised that hardwood is not a good option for slabs. So we are now looking at laminate but we are completely overwhelmed with the choices. Some people are urging us not to go with laminate for resale value. We plan to sell in about 1.5-2 years. Is it a horrible mistake to put down laminate instead of replacing the tile with new tile? We are getting paid for the tile so we would take the extra money difference and get new kitchen cabinets and solid surface counters (we currently have horrible cabinets and counters).

And finally, can anyone recommend a laminate brand. I've searched the forum but not having much luck. We are looking at Lowes, Home Depot and a local flooring company. Each place has told us completely different things about what is good and what has problems. We want something reasonably priced but with a good locking mechanism and something that won't look too cheap. Something that will hold up to hyper kids.

Advertisement

Last edited by Regina Phalange; 11-16-2008 at 11:06 AM.
Regina Phalange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:41 PM   #2
www.360flooring.com

Send a message via Skype™ to 360Flooring - Carver Tubs

Laminate is cheap for a number of reasons. There are very do-able options out there. If you can go with a top grade solid hardwood or maybe consider engineered flooring options.

Read this thread to learn more: Wood over concrete?

The installer/installation is the key to getting this right. It is worth the extra buck to get it right the first time, so make sure you are VERY comfortable with your installers knowledge of the project before signing on the dotted line. If you want a recommendation on WHO can do this type of install for you, give me a call or email with your address and I'll help you track down a reputable labor force.

Advertisement

360Flooring - Carver Tubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

You must have a benevolent insurance company. Ceramic floors on slabs shouldn't be affected by water, so wouldn't be damaged.
I've used Shaw laminate in a low volume retail setting in Manhattan. It's rated for light commercial use and has held up well for three years.
Laminate floors have wear ratings with associated warranties. Look for a floor with a minimum warranty of 15 years. I put one in my 83 year old mother in laws that has a 25 year warranty. This one is rated for light commercial applications.
The ratings run from 1-5, I think it's AG1 -AG5, with AG5 being the best and AG1 being the worst. At AG3 it starts the light commercial use.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 07:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
but we are being advised that hardwood is not a good option for slabs.
If hardwood will not work, then lam will not work.
Guess what....BOTH will work.

Quote:
Some people are urging us not to go with laminate for resale value. We plan to sell in about 1.5-2 years.
You will not get a return on wood that quickly.
Lam will not hurt resale, but does not add huge value.

Quote:
Is it a horrible mistake to put down laminate instead of replacing the tile with new tile?
Tile is definately more valuable...but lam will give you a huge credit from insurance I am sure.

Quote:
(we currently have horrible cabinets and counters).
Join the club.....

Quote:
And finally, can anyone recommend a laminate brand.
In no order
Wilsonart
Quickstep
Armstrong
Mannington
Shaw

Quote:
Each place has told us completely different things about what is good and what has problems.
Ask a ton of detailed questions like total mil thickness, high pressure or direct pressure, what kind of finish is on the lam...ect...
The one who answers the question with certainty will be the honest one who knows what they are talking about.

Quote:
Something that will hold up to hyper kids.
Tile would hold up best but lam is a good option for durability. there are many qualities within each brand...so choose wisely.

Quote:
You must have a benevolent insurance company. Ceramic floors on slabs shouldn't be affected by water, so wouldn't be damaged.
But the walls probably were and maybe other things that required some tile to be torn out.
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:15 AM   #5

We are getting paid for the tile so we would take the extra money difference and get new kitchen cabinets and solid surface counters (we currently have horrible cabinets and counters).

I myself don't know this for sure but was told by another person. You know how that goes -- a friend of a friend.
Anyway this person told me they bought a house that had been damaged, previous owner had been paid by insurance company to repair damage but previous owner did not make the repairs ( either total reapirs or partial repairs i am not sure) but my friend said they were not able to get insurance on the house (or part of the house or only partial or reduced insurance). Can't remember just how it went down.
So, long story short. Check with your insurance Company and see if you get paid for tile and you replace/repair with difference material will your Ins company reinsure your house the way you want. Hope you get the drift of this post. Check with your Ins company.
SWMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:09 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

You will not have a problem if you switch materials.
You only have a problem if you do not make repairs.
Now if you upgrade $10,000 over your allowance, expect the Insurance Co. to catch wind and increase rates a bit.
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:12 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

In terms of resale value, you need to look at what similar houses in your area and price range have. If they all have wood, you may be at a disadvantage. There are many laminates that do a good job of looking like wood, however. Also check out regular flooring places, as many are hurting for business and will give you a good deal with better advice and support than the big boxes.

Advertisement

Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote