Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2011, 07:15 PM   #1

Share |

Replacing the subfloor, Is OSB ok

I am replacing the hardwood floor in a house built in the 50's. It was added to in 1976 by idiots, and the sub floor is badly damaged or missing in spots. I will be putting in 3/4 solid tigerwood in a 5" plank. I plan to replace the subflooor. Is 3/4 OSB ok or should I use 23/32 plywood? The house was built in the 50's with 2 x 14 joists on 12" OC. This is the 2nd floor and no issues with water or moisture.
cep89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #2

Cep,
Personally, I would use the plywood. I am not an osb fan. Also, I would get the tongue and groove ply and glue and screw it down.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (01-10-2011)
Old 01-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #3

Mike is right as the plywood has a much better ability to hold the screws than osb. Considering that you will be installing wide plank flooring you will need all the opportunity to anchor your flooring on and having the plywood glued and screwed will give you what you need.
fixrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
Tileguy

The is one reason OSB exists, it's cheaper.

Is is necessary to remove the subfloor or do you plan to add a layer of underlayment over it? Removing the old will create other issues where the old meets new. Plus you'll have to add blocking or more joists.

Quote:
The house was built in the 50's with 2 x 14 joists on 12" OC.
14" joists? I don't think I've ever seen or heard of those.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:23 AM   #5

Acclimate , Acclimate, Acclimate, Acclimate.

Make sure the wood MC is within 2% of the substrate . See if you can rent a MC meter .
Go to the Rat Shack and pick up a Hydrometer for $25.00 set it on the floor for 1/2 hr .
Post the readings back here before you start . Will let you know if the wood is acclimated to the site .

Screw the ply from the middle of the board out . I wouldn't glue it . just screw it every 6" in the field , and every 1" - 2" on the edges .
Floor Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:54 AM   #6

If you meant 2x4 then I would wonder how far the span is ? Will you be adding the 3/4 so the old meets new ? If so you can block the edges . But i would also be concerned with not removing the old ,Because the 3/4 Plus the flooring adds up to One and one Half inch higher ? THink ??? If you don't understand .... Lay out a small amount as it would be . Meeting the carpet or other flooring and see what this does near doors . Kitchen cabinets and where the dishwasher would fit under the counter , If this is done wrong near a Dish washer .You won't be able to get the dishwasher out . MOCK UP a little area near these potential problem areas, You will be glad ,
tacomahardwoodfloors.com
tacomahardwood. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:26 PM   #7

Thanks for all the replys, The joists measure a little over 13 tall and 1 3/4 wide, old school wood. And 12" on center spacing, pretty stout. Yes I have to replace the subfloor, it has been badly chopped up, in some places there is no subfloor just some plywood in place of the top floor held up by some 2x4 blocking. I got some 23/32 t&g plywood and I plan to block the edges with 2x6. Most every one is recomending glue and screw if you don't want any squeeaks. The transitions should be the same since the old subfloor is 3/4 and the top is 3/4. Should I glue the t&g of the subfloor together?
cep89 is offline   Reply With Quote