Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2008, 06:08 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

replacing subfloor

I was going to install new vinyl in the kitchen for my grandmother. She had a water heater leak and warped the floor under it and was going to just replace those subfloor boards. When i removed the vinyl and 1/4 inch under layment i found over 30 years of old vinyl under it (3 layers all glued together). After further inspection, after 3 days of tearing up all the vinyl that there was an addition to the house in 1970 (the house was built in 1959). 1 part of the room has 3/4 inch particle board as the subflooring and the other part has 1/2 inch plywood with 3/4 inch plywoon on top of it. the floor also has a high spot in it in the center of the room where the addition was made......I am thinking about tearing up all of the subflooring down to the joists and just installing a new sub floor to get ride of this headache. Is the the best thing to do? and if so should i install just 3/4 inch plywood as the subflooring or should it be 3/4 inch with 1/2 inch on top of it? really need some advice...thanks
milkman7979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:49 AM   #2

replacing subfloor

The problem here is that the subfloor may not be the only problem. Often in homes that old the floor joist are at different level from where the house has settled. If you have a load bearing wall below the floor then you'll commonly find the floors to either side of that wall sag a bit with age. Code just about anywhere now should spec more than 3/4" total for subloor. You should need at least an inch total. Mine from back in the 60's is two layer of 3/4". In your case I'd personally redo as much as I needed to in order to get rid of all the particle board. You may have to use a self leveling compound to level out the floor and take care of the high spots.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:09 PM   #3

replacing subfloor

today i took up the first layer of subfloor and under the particle board(not osb, it was like sawdust glued to form a board) there was a layer of roofing felt paper, and under that was 1x6 layed vertically across the room(this was the addition side of the room).it looks like the joists that was installed are set about a 1/2 inch lower than the other side of the house, because where the high spot was is where the two rooms meet. they just layed the 1x6's on top of the joist that joined the older part of the house, and that is the only place in the whole room that is unlevel. the only thing i can think of to correct this is to remove all the 1x6's and take the differance between the old rooms joist and the additions rooms joist and lay down a layer of plywood to make the two rooms level. does this sound like the right route to go? really would appreciate any more advice...thanks..
milkman7979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 05:58 AM   #4

replacing subfloor

If it's easy enough to do then go for it. My house has a diagonally laid slat subfloor with another 3/4" layer of plywood over that. It's stayed pretty level. But 1X6 are going to be subject to more warping than plywood since they don't have layers of cross grain to keep them stable. Once you get them up I'd run a long straight edge or even something like a chalkline over several of the joists at a time to make sure they are about the same level. If there are large discrepancies you may have to add some shimming between the joists and the new subfloor to make sure it stays level when you screw it down.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:41 PM   #5

replacing subfloor

Agree that you need to just do it right and start all over. More work, but you'll have a great, level floor when you're all done.
Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote