Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2008, 11:04 AM   #1

Share |

replacing molding in sunken living room floor

Hi all,
I have a sunken living room floor. The previous owner put in laminate flooring, then used large amounts of joint compound to cover the rough slab edge exposed along the walls between the (higher) baseboard molding and the (lower) sunken subfloor (see picture). I'd like to keep the flooring for now, but redo the transition at the walls, specifically to better cover the slab edge. Is there some sort of tall or nose molding made for this purpose, or is there a better way of handling this problem? Right now it looks amateur and terrible. My illustration isn't strictly to scale, but I've tried to illustrate what's going on.
Thanks!
Attached Images

lokidawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
Custom Cabinet Maker

pull the shoe/quarter round off, pull baseboard off, now using a square set on the flooring slide against wall and measure distance out at the sheetrock, place a filler block all around. Then set baseboard on the lower floor and nail into the filler block. On top of the filler you can set a pc of cove or other molding with a reveal.

skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
pull the shoe/quarter round off, pull baseboard off, now using a square set on the flooring slide against wall and measure distance out at the sheetrock, place a filler block all around. Then set baseboard on the lower floor and nail into the filler block. On top of the filler you can set a pc of cove or other molding with a reveal.
Thanks skymaster, do you mean like this (see picture), with the filler attached to toe of existing wall frame? Thanks in advance for your help--
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2008, 09:59 PM   #4
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

That's what I would do. Look around a lumber yard, you might even find an interesting molding instead of the simple cove (if you want to get fancy).
angus242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:15 PM   #5
Custom Cabinet Maker

Yes exactly, make it as fancy as you want. NOW how did you do those kewl cad drawings? I can build you anything from a box to a house but I damn sure cant draw like that LOL Pencil, legal pad thats my computer
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:19 AM   #6

Talking

Many thanks for all your help, people. Skymaster: No CAD, just powerpoint . Anyway, will give this a shot. Thanks again!
Old 05-18-2008, 07:47 AM   #7

I have a similar situation to that of "lokidawg." My new house, instead of having joint compound meeting the raised baseboards, has carpet climbing up the wall about 4 inches. I am pretty confident I can tear out the carpet along the wall and replace the baseboards in the living room fine (especially with the advise below...)

My Concern comes in matching the baseboard line up the single step and into the walkway/ kitchen area that is not sunken (in other words, the baseboards actually meet the floor in the dining/walkway and follow the floor line through the living room.

The current baseboards (surrounding the living, dining, and walkway areas) are only about 3" and the new baseboards will need to be about 7 1/4. I am not sure how to navigate the baseboards in the raised areas...

I can add photos if this will bring clarity to my dilemma.

Thanks!!
sbc0010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:41 PM   #8

SBC0010 - how did your project come out? We are in the same situation and I am not trusting these carpet places and just say yeah it can be done. I want it done right and looks good. Does it look strange to have 7" baseboard in the sunken living room and then look up into your kitchen/hallway and see 3"?

Also my wall where the carpet is has some areas that the concrete sticks out and my carpet man said it would need to be chipped away!

Am I correct in saying that a 5/16" floor can be sanded about 2 times and engineered not at all. I prefer solid wood. Also can 5/16 be put down in the metroplex or should it be engineered? What is the correct way to put it down?

Any advice would be great.

Texas is offline   Reply With Quote