Replacing Joists, Subfloor, And Hardwood On Top Of Partial Concrete Slab - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing joists, subfloor, and hardwood on top of partial concrete slab

Hey folks,

I'm new to contributing to the forum, but I have been leaching info from here for previous projects for quite some time now. Thanks for all the previous help!

My current project is replacing the floor in the back room of my house. The old floor was a painted-over linoleum, and we'd like to replace it with wood to match the red oak floors in our 1886 Denver Victorian. The existing subfloor was 2 sheets of stacked 1/2" ply over 2x8 joists 16" on center. The room is 8' 9" by 16' 9".

The problem is that (as you can see from the pictures linked below), the threshold between the floor in the kitchen and the back room would be quite a step up due to the existing cement slab that used to be the back porch.

I'm curious if anyone has any brilliant ideas on how to put this back together so that we can gain a few inches on top of the joists to have a 3/4" sheet of ply, an 1/8" membrane, and then hardwood on top of that (unknown thickness as of now). I don't like the joists sitting on the concrete, but in order to drop things down the concrete would have to be removed. The other thought I had was to fill in the gaps with concrete and do a finish concrete layer on top and lay the flooring on top of that.

Here is a link to the pictures of the room:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2918017...7631650640465/

And one embedded if I can...

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Aaron in Denver

Advertisement

Aaroneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaroneous View Post
Hey folks,

I'm new to contributing to the forum, but I have been leaching info from here for previous projects for quite some time now. Thanks for all the previous help!

My current project is replacing the floor in the back room of my house. The old floor was a painted-over linoleum, and we'd like to replace it with wood to match the red oak floors in our 1886 Denver Victorian. The existing subfloor was 2 sheets of stacked 1/2" ply over 2x8 joists 16" on center. The room is 8' 9" by 16' 9".

The problem is that (as you can see from the pictures linked below), the threshold between the floor in the kitchen and the back room would be quite a step up due to the existing cement slab that used to be the back porch.

I'm curious if anyone has any brilliant ideas on how to put this back together so that we can gain a few inches on top of the joists to have a 3/4" sheet of ply, an 1/8" membrane, and then hardwood on top of that (unknown thickness as of now). I don't like the joists sitting on the concrete, but in order to drop things down the concrete would have to be removed. The other thought I had was to fill in the gaps with concrete and do a finish concrete layer on top and lay the flooring on top of that.

Here is a link to the pictures of the room:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2918017...7631650640465/

And one embedded if I can...

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Aaron in Denver

If you want to gain height,can't you just lay sleepers on top of your joists to get to where you want to be??

Advertisement

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
If you want to gain height,can't you just lay sleepers on top of your joists to get to where you want to be??
I may not have been clear in my original post. I need to *lower* the joists so I can fit a thicker flooring on top of it to be flush with the floor in the kitchen. The problem is that I can't lower the joists any farther because of the cement slab below them.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,032

Aaron,

if I'm viewing this correct those floor joist from the concrete porch over to the patio door are notched and sitting on top of the slab?????? if this is correct please check out this link

http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...9_5_par030.htm

you are only allowed to notch out 1/4 the depth of the joist at the point of bearing, not 3/4. I understand you did not do this, but now you should correct it or expect problems in the future. The joists will tend to split from the notch back towards the door at the point of the notch.

can you take a photo from the deck through the door looking at the concrete porch where the joists are attached?

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
can you take a photo from the deck through the door looking at the concrete porch where the joists are attached?
I think this is the angle you're looking for, but I'll grab the one you described in a bit. You are absolutely correct, this was a hack job. I want to fix it for sure, but the only way I can envision doing it would be to either jack out all the concrete and run joists all the way across or remove the joists entirely and fill the rest of the space with concrete.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:32 PM   #6

you could install a ledger board to the concrete (if I'm seeing it correctly) and then attach joists with hangers. trust me, I understand hack jobs

Old 09-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,164

Quote:
you could install a ledger board to the concrete (if I'm seeing it correctly) and then attach joists with hangers. trust me, I understand hack jobs

A lot easier that jacking out the old porch.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #8

Quote:
That would work for replacing it as it is now, but it would not address the problem of lowering the joists and the concrete to allow more room on top of the subfloor for flooring without the threshold between the kitchen and the back room.

The biggest problem is that the concrete slab butts up about 1/4" lower than the flooring in the kitchen, so in order to have the subfloor + flooring on it, the concrete will have to be either ground down or completely removed... OR I could just use the concrete that is there, grind it down to the depth I want for flooring and pour more around it to level it out...

See what I mean?
Old 09-29-2012, 07:14 PM   #9

you could try something like this. don't know what your height differences are.
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing joists, subfloor, and hardwood on top of partial concrete slab-possible-fix.jpg  

Advertisement