Replacing Floors In A Mobile Home - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2011, 06:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

replacing floors in a mobile home

I have to replace nearly all of the floors in my mobile home due to water damage...Anybody done this?? I need tips..can I do it myself with help? I am fairly good at basic home improvement projects.

Advertisement

waiterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,318

The floors run under the walls. You have to cut as close to the wall as you can get and fasten supports to the outside joice so the floor has some support around the outside. Some of the older trailers only have a steel frame down the outside, so it can be difficult to fasten anything to it.

Advertisement

rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
www.doors4home.com

Rewards Points: 25

I recently replaced all the floors in a mobile home, had just been leveled, with holes in the floor from water damage. I chose to put in ceramic tile, carpet and laminate flooring through out the house. My wife and I took two weeks off and completed the entire job.

If the mobile home is older than 20 years, I would consider checking to see if it needs leveling. Level the house prior, because you could have severe discrepencies if you decide to wait.

We took an axe through the floors in the washroom and bathroom (water damage), took out all the subfloor and installed joist supports every 19" or so - overkill but safe. Rusty Baker is absolutely correct in saying that the floors run under the walls. We used an angle grider with blade attached to get the desired straight cut.

Down goes the new subfloor (water resistent), mortar, hardibacker cement board (flexible) screwed down to the subfloor, mortar, tile, grout and sealer.

Carpet is much easier to take up, a pain to put down. Different process because the subfloor was still good, no water damage. Down went the underlayment, stapled, taped, then the tacks around the edge of the room, then the carpet - with a knee kicker - without a stretcher. Tough job.

Laminate floors are a snap! Get down to the subfloor and lay down some dampener and a waterproof layer (usually sold together as one unit), then you start at one edge - cutting the first piece by a quarter for stagger.

That's it! Let me know if you run into some unforeseen problem or need some help.

Jason
jason.r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jason.r For This Useful Post:
waiterman (06-09-2011)