DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

replacing floor tile

747 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Amateuralex 
#1 ·
I want to replace the floor tile in my bathroom. There's been 12X12 tiles in there for 20 years and there's no cracks or crumbling, so is it safe to just assume the deflection is fine?

From what I can tell, it was just installed right onto plywood. My plan is to bust it up with a hammer, scrape up everything loose, and just re-tile over top of it.

I assume that the new tile will be roughly the same height as the old, but I will still probably have to do something with the toilet flange?

Any advice for me?

#2 ·
Hi Alex, welcome,

Tiling over plywood is never a good plan, and worse in a bathroom. But it can work if all the stars stay aligned. I wouldn't want my name associated with it though.

The tiles are probably installed over an underlayment which might be 1/4' thick. If so, strike 3.

Let us know what you've got under those tiles and how thick etc. While you're at it let's double check the joists system to make sure they're good for tiles. Need the type and size of the joists, species and grade would be nice too, their on center spacing, and the unsupported span to the inch.

Jaz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.