Replacing Damaged Shower Wall Tiles - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2006, 09:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Replacing damaged shower wall tiles

Recently we decided to remove the sliding glass doors from our guest bathroom shower. Well, when we took off the side frames, some of the shower tile came with it. We don't have the time or the resources to retile the entire shower, so we're just going to replace two vertical strips on each side of the shower. In the process of removing the tile, a lot of the top of the greenboard came off with it (i.e., the green part). So basically what we have is the greenboard with the top layer missing. So, my question is, can I just put down some backerboard over this exposed area? Keep in mind that we're considering this to be a temporary measure, knowing that we'll have to retile the entire shower in a year or two.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Kevin

Advertisement

kevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 12:15 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

if youve got green board in you shower or bath surround you've got trouble.
If its falling off the wall moisture has probably gotten to it which could lead to mold not all that bad when insurance paid for that sort of thing but it wont any longer.
any temporary fix you may do now might and here i stress might cause you alot more headach in the future.
i recomend doing that surround after the holidays unless you have a trust worthy tile man come give you a first hand opinion

Advertisement

ncor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 01:37 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,616

Start saving your money. Sounds as if that surround has served its useful life and is on its way out.

I guess I don't understand what purpose the "backerboard" you propose is to serve in this case if you aren't going to retile now. Is the door history? It would be important to keep moisture away from that area until you can fix it properly.

Maybe a little more explanation is in order.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:57 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Start saving your money. Sounds as if that surround has served its useful life and is on its way out.

I guess I don't understand what purpose the "backerboard" you propose is to serve in this case if you aren't going to retile now. Is the door history? It would be important to keep moisture away from that area until you can fix it properly.

Maybe a little more explanation is in order.
You're right in that the backerboard would serve little purpose. I decided to do it without it, and just retile right on the drywall. I know it's not ideal and not going to last long, but it will work for the next few months.
kevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 01:18 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,616

Quote:
You're right in that the backerboard would serve little purpose. I decided to do it without it, and just retile right on the drywall. I know it's not ideal and not going to last long, but it will work for the next few months.
It's your decision, at least you are aware that a catastrophic failure is looming. GOOD LUCK!
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote