DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Replacing carpet in living and dining room. Need advice!

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  trickytrip 
#1 ·
The carpet in our living and dining room needs to be replaced. It is 10 years old and looks like crap. We are wanting to put down flooring instead of carpet and just want to see what others have to say about the different types of flooring and what kind may be the best according to actual trial and error. We don't want to put down carpet again. Atleast for sure not in the dining room.
Our dining room leads right to the patio door and gets alot of traffic, also that is where we eat and kids tend to ruin the carpet after time with spills and such. I have done some research online from what I have read, it seems that Bamboo flooring may be the way to go. In our house we have my wife and I, 4 children ages 7 - 16 and 2 dogs. From what I understand, Bamboo flooring would probably be the best bet for holding up to the long term traffic with all of us.
I want to make sure what we put down will be the best option there is. We even thought of putting down carpet in the living room and flooring in the dining room. We just are not sure how it will look with the hallway and kitchen being linoleum, the dining room having wood flooring and the living room being carpet because of how they all meet up to each other.
Does anyone here have any personal knowledge about flooring that may be able to assist me in taking the right direction? If you have any suggestions please feel free to post they. I appreciate it.

I added a video of the rooms to show you how they meet up and get a better understanding of what the layout looks like.

http://youtu.be/fD2JwtrMPz8

See less See more
#3 ·
Personally, I would go with the bamboo in the living room and dining room, even consider doing the hall and kitchen. The way your entry is, unless you do the whole floor, you will see 3 different floor coverings. You have carpet on the steps, linoleum in the hall & kitchen then bamboo in the living/dining room.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.