Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #1

Share |

Replacing Bathroom Subfloor

Hi DIY'ers,

I am renovating an ensuite bathroom and have decided to take the floor down to the joists and rebuild. There was some water damage previously, so it stinks, it squeaks and it's got strange cuts in it that don't really seem to serve a purpose. So, re-do time.

I've never done this before, so the plan is to use a circular saw to cut out as much of the existing floor as close as I can to the walls, keeping everything nice and square so I can fit the new floor in easy.

The floor seems to be 5/8 plywood, joists are 2x10, 16" centers.

1. Should I glue the boards down to prevent squeaking? Nails, screws, and at what spacing?

2. Should I leave a gap between sheets?

3. In what orientation should I run the sheets in relation to the joists? Do I need to have sheets meet along the length of the joists and attach them there?

Basically I don't know what I'm doing and I want to do this right. Any help would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing Bathroom Subfloor-renovation-001.jpg   Replacing Bathroom Subfloor-renovation-002.jpg  

mforeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:02 AM   #2
Pro Newbie, Thank You!

Good Morning,

If you have a few dollars to spare with this project, you can pick up a Toe-kick saw from Harbor Freight. This saw will allow you to cut the subfloor flush to the walls. You will need to use a SawZall type tool to get in the inside corners.

If using your circular saw, get out your framing square and a straight edge and mark lines to follow when cutting. you can check square before you cut.

After you remove the old subfloor, you will need to scab in some lumber between floor joists and possibly alongside the joists so that your new subfloor's edges are supported. I use 2x6 material. (Confused? I'll send some photos to your email.) Ideally, you would want to cut the subfloor right down the center of a joist so your new subfloor can rest an edge on the joist.

Run the new subfloor in the same direction as the one you removed. Measure and cut the new subfloor. I subtract about 1/8" from those measurements (in the length and width).

You can cut and dry fit the new subfloor if you'd like. You may want to use a permanent marker and mark the location of your floor joists on the bottom 2x4 of your wall. This will give reference later when you are fastening the subfloor to those joists.

Run a bead of construction adhesive on the joists, place your subfloor down into it and nail or screw into place. I prefer screws myself, but either way will be fine. To help keep your fasteners going where they're supposed to, use a chalk line and those marks you made on the walls and snap some lines. Space the fasteners every 6-8" apart along all joists.

Hope this helps get you started.
-Rich.

Broadhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:48 AM   #3

Hey, just curious what you plan on putting down for flooring?? Tile, linoleum??

I'm just thinking for tile should you be putting down 3/4" plywood instead of 5/8"? I'm thinking with 2x10 joists the 5/8" plywood might be ok but I'm also thinking it would be awful if you completed your bathroom with tile and there was movement in the floor! (cracking grout and tiles)

I can't answer for sure but someone on here would know.
Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote