DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Replace subfloor in hallway?

6K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  french_guy 
#1 ·
I've installed laminate in my family room (concrete slab) and also upstairs in the office and the master bedroom. Subfloor in the master bedroom was not flat with one side sinking ~1/2" toward the adjacent room. I did my best to fix it with some self leveling compound
Now, I am doing the hallway...But I have the same problem, one side is sinking toward an adjacent room. It even worse since the gap is 1/2" but only over 15" approximately, so it's a serious slope !!!
I feel it's out o my competence if the subfloor has to be replaced
I thought i could try to correct it by pouring some SLC to correct the gap, but I will have at least that 1/2" difference when it will come to do that other room.

Who should i try to contact: a general contractor? Is it an expensive job to replace a subfloor in a hallway?

#2 ·
Any experienced carpenter can do a subfloor replacement and sistering in some 2xs to correct the slope---

I suggest you go to an old fashioned lumber yard and ask if they could suggest someone---
a job like that might be to small to interest a GC-- However, If you know one---I'd ask---

#3 ·
Yeah, I have contacted some by email (form the yellow pages)....
What is the process to redo a subfloor in a hallway? Cut the subfloor along the wall, and then trim the joist (if too high) or shim the joist (if too low) or sister it if in bad shape, and then put new subfloor?
What should be the new one: plywood, OSB? T&G or not?
And what should be the thickness?

#6 ·
Plywood is graded by the quality of the faces---A is smooth sanded--B is smooth with filled knot holes---C is rough but filled--D is really rough with open knot holes---

Also the glue is in the code---exposure one (x) has water proof glue--

#7 ·
Well, I have receivd a quote from a contractor: $3,700 !!!
Remove baseboards, door casings, cut and remove subfloor, level and put new one (3/4" OSB - nail and glue)
It's a hallway, 96" width and approx 25' long

I do not know much about the qty of work involved, but it seems very high too me
Of course, my subfloor is not flat (otherwise I would have kept it)
There is a hump on on 1 side, and it's pitching 1/2" over less than 30" span toward another room....It a steep slope !!!

But still, sounds very high to me......

#8 ·
I'll say---I haven't seen the job---but I'd drive up there and do it for you for that price and pay my own hotel bill---

May I suggest you go to a lumber yard and ask for the name of a skilled carpenter---

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.