Replace My Subflooring??? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2008, 08:44 PM   #1
Stretch

Rewards Points: 10

Replace my subflooring???

Throughout my entire single-story home, the floor creaks, with many, many soft spots...some just downright spongy. Below are the basic numbers, my impression is that the subfloor is too thin... The home is a standard stick built on piers.

3/4" plywood (nothing else) set on 2X8 joists, which are 16" OC and 10' long.

Even if it was done "to code", I will probably replace it (and thicken it!), just to get rid of the irritating creaking and spongy feel. I understand that the creaking would be resolved with strategically placed screws, but the soft spots everywhere are even more bothersome.

I also understand that the soft spots could probably be "patched", but that this is a problem that should be fixed once and for all. I am doing a complete remodel of the home and can spread the subfloor replacement as i go from room to room over the next 2-4 years (let me know if I am missing something with this plan of attack).

With this plan in mind, I have a few questions:

1. Does this require a permit?
2. Does subflooring simply butt-up against wall framing...which equates to ease of removal? Or will I need to cut away anything?
3. Eventually, the home will have the standard carpeting, tile flooring...with the possibility of linoleum or hardwood...we are basically undecided right now. What kind of new subfloor material would you put down (we live in Kern Co...southern California). I want to keep it simple, while taking into consideration the transitions from one type of flooring to another...yet to be decided.

Thanks in advance to y'all! I'm having a blast remodeling our fixer-upper,

Advertisement

Last edited by scheenstra; 01-27-2008 at 09:06 PM.
scheenstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:56 PM   #2
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

Replace my subflooring???

1. You have to call your local building dept and ask them.
2. NO The subfloor goes under all the wall plates.
3. I would be using 3/4 t&g plywood however you can also use t&g osb. I would consider going right over the existing, glue and screw into the joists.
HOWEVER before i did that i would verify that there is no underlying conditions to the spongyness other than lousy ply or not nailed well.

Advertisement

skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote