Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2009, 07:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Repairing hardwoods where a hearth used to be

My living room used to have a fireplace, but unfortunately it was removed (see attached image). Now there is just a block of cement in the wood floor where it used to be. I want to put a pellet stove in that location, which needs to go on some sort of a hearth pad. The problem is, the hearthpad won't be big enough to fully cover this cement. I'm trying to figure out how to handle this. It seems like it would be hard to get this cement out and level to try to put hardwood in there to try to patch it up. Or I can put the hearthpad down and think of some clever way to cover the remaining few inches of cement sticking out of the sides.
Does anyone have any good ideas for this?
Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Repairing hardwoods where a hearth used to be-photo.jpg  

99miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:43 PM   #2

bump. any ideas?

Old 08-14-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
floor pro

Rewards Points: 10

Hi 99miles

I COULD NOT DETERMINE BY THE IMAGE IF THE REMAINING CONCRETE IS ABOVE THE HARDWOOD SURFACE.

If you have at least 1/8 " depth below the surface of the hardwood, you could apply a self leveling compound to get a level surface that could be acid stained, integrally colored or dyed. As small as the area is it would not require much material.
At Home Depot or Lowe's whichever one sell Henry products, look for the self leveling underlayment in the bag. One bag will cover about 25 sq.ft. @ 1/4" depth. You do the math.

This product is a cementitious underlayment and not formulated as a wear surface, but where you are using it, it will not receive much traffic and will work. Cost? under $40. Go to the concrete depart, you will find small plastic bottles on liquid concrete colorant. Not many colors but you should find one that works for you.

I apply these self leveling products all the time and this fix would take less time than the three minutes required to mix the product with a drill.

Paul Spurlock
Enhancing the image of concrete since 1975

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 08-14-2009 at 09:48 PM. Reason: removed website
ptspurlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:37 PM   #4

How about laying stone or ceramic?
jchistia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:53 AM   #5

Thanks for the ideas! I actually pulled up ceramic tile that was there, b/c to me that looked very odd. Maybe there's better looking tiles for this than what was there, but I'm still looking around for other solutions.

To answer your question Paul, the cement is currently about level with the wood floor.

How hard would it be to dig out the necessary amount and put in more wood to basically mend it and make it like the rest of the wood floor? What would the general steps be?
Old 08-30-2009, 08:29 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

I would make my own hearth pad that would cover all of the cement
It will look better IMO then a hearth pad & then something else added
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:36 PM   #7

Hi, 99Miles.
I have the same issue except with 4 fireplaces in my house! I see that about 2 years has passed and I'm curious to know how you handled it.

Any progress? If so, can you give me pictures?

What went well and didn't? I'm trying to determine what to do with mine as I'm considering having the rest of the floors refinished and I figure it makes sense to have those taken care of first.

somuchjackson is offline   Reply With Quote