Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2009, 06:25 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Repairing/fixing Marmoleum tiles

Hello--
I recently installed click-on sky-blue marmoleum in our kitchen. It came out fairly well -- I was especially careful to put in luan subflooring and make it very level.

However, there are 2 problems that occurred. First, one of the 3x1 tiles didn't exactly fit (click-on) as well as I wanted, and there is a noticable line/separation around 2 edges of that 3 x 1 tile (one 3' edge and one 1' edge).

I read somewhere that the way to "fix" that or cover it up was to put clue around the two edges and sand the top of a spare piece of marmoleum over the clue. That process certainly helped, but if one looks one can still see a color /finish difference. Is there any way finish that will blend the sky blue (marblish) finish and the edges / separations?

2nd problem is one that I didn't realize until after I had installed the entire kitchen. Marmoleum click on requires about 30 degrees elevation for the click on to work. I had some cabinets that "overhang"the floor and allow only about 15 degrees of elevation. I should have removed the cabinets, but that was a really big job (I think), and so I just tried to cut the marmoleum and not use the click on part around the cabinets. That process also produces these edges that one can see. Again, I tried the trick of glue and sanding an unused piece of same marmoleum. Again, that helps, but one can see a color or light reflection difference.

If you look at the sky-blue marmoleum finish, it has a marble like top consistency of color, but underneath, it is a different non-marble like consistency. So, I can see why the glue and sanding doesn't really work. How do I make the same kind of marble like consistency to the color?

Anyway, any advice would be really greatly appreciated.

diynickstam

NickStam is offline   Reply With Quote