Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2009, 11:28 AM   #1

Share |

Repairing Epoxy Grout?

OK, I spent my Christmas vacation removing the failing grout in my kitchen, dining room, foyer, hallway and laundry room - about 1,000 sq. ft. Based on input from this site, I replaced it with epoxy grout. Yeah, it wasn't a fun vacation, but the finished job looks GREAT!
Now, I've got a couple of small areas that I'm, not satisfied with, yes I'm something or a perfectionist at times. I've got pleanty of the sand left and it's cheap. But.....do I need to mix up an entire batch of the epoxy that comes in the kit - about $40.00, or is there some other type of epoxy I can get in small quantities to use? The tile place I got the epoxy kits from says no, I have to use the full amount. There are all kinds of epoxy's available from Home Depot in the glue area. Can I use any of them? Just hate to spend $40 to use $2 of material.
Thanks!

Ed Coles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:01 AM   #2

Repairing Epoxy Grout?

If you want it to match, it needs to be the same stuff, and it is best to mix the whole batch, since there are specific quanities in a batch. You don't have a lot of working time with epoxy, so the quanity can't be that much. But where did the sand come from, what was it for???

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:40 PM   #3

Repairing Epoxy Grout?

The product I used was Laticrete, Spectra Lock. You buy a set that comes with the 2 part epoxy, sand, and 2 cleaners. The smallest batch covers roughly 50 sq ft of my size tiles - 16", with a 1/8 joint width. Somehow I ended up with an extra carton of sand, it's only about $5 anyway. The 2 part epoxy that comes with the set is the most expensive stuff at $35 for the smallest size. So, to replace 1 tile, less than 2 sq. ft., do I need to buy enough epoxy to do 25 sq. ft? Seems like there must be a better way!
Ed Coles is offline   Reply With Quote