Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #1

Share |

repair/refinish just part of hardwood floor area?

Hey all - had a major leak in laundry room. Water emergency team is drying out the house but looks like our hardwoods in the kitchen near the leak will have some damage. We have 1-inch tongue and groove hardwoods in 75% of our first floor - maybe 700+ square feet worth. They are 12 years old and the previous owner had a dog. So they show wear. Plus - we have 3 kids 4 and under and will soon have a smaller dog.

The hardwood area that took a hit is perhaps only 25 square feet.

So how does one get this fixed? I know the boards could be replaced - but would their grain match the old grain? Then - the new AND the old would need to be totally sanded and restained/repoly-ed.

But the biggest question is where would anyone make the break? My kitchen/dining area (with the hardwood damage at one end) is probably 400 square feet of continuous floor - one big room. They'd have to resand it all. But then there is a hall leading to a formal dining room that flows into a foyer and bathroom. If we only did the kitchen - then there would be an obvious seam/break. Ugly.

I could understand an insurance company not wanting to pay for it all. On the other hand - I don't think you'd use two different brick colors on the front of a house, or two similar yet slightly different carpets meeting at a seam.

Thoughts?

denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:43 PM   #2

repair/refinish just part of hardwood floor area?

Wait till it is dried or when they say it is and tell them to moisture check the hardwood and make sure it is 8 % maybe 10% , Then make a determination wether the wood needs to be replaced ,Or sanded . they seem to dry them to 16%, from 16% the floor will move more as it dries to 8% , Thats why i say make sure it is around 8 to 10%.... Then you can have a hardwood company have a look , Sometimes water damage will go away except a little gapping , If you sand it before it gets below 12% or close it will still dry and move till it reachs what ever is usual for your area ,, usually 8% here in washington state . .BUT I would let them dry it ,then let it sit for a month till the rest of the moisture in the floor sub comes out , Or there will be a risk of that , then make a determination , I had a customer with water damage to maple , I told him to remove it and I bid it for removeall , the insurance gave him the money and he just had me refinish it , Then He called me a few months later and wanted me to fix it again , I said no dice , I told you to replace it , . Maple is different than oak , Oak seems to take water damage much better , But I would say it still reqiures an experienced call , The reason is , More water is under the hardwood traveling along the slots then you will see the immediate visible damages on top , Later the crowning will spread , then dry out ,
tacomahardwoodfloors.com

tacomafloor is offline   Reply With Quote