Renovating: 2 Layers Of Plywood Necessary For ? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2006, 08:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Renovating: 2 layers of Plywood Necessary for ?

House: 1987 construction ranch with full basement

Floor: Previous DIY'er Tile over durarock over 2 layers plywood

Question: Is 1 layer of plywood i.e. the original subfloor strong/good/firm enough to tile over given I'll be using a layer of durarock.

Situation: Once I demo'ed the tile and durarock board and removed the center island, I descovered to my dismay that someone had doubled up on plywood. The original subfloor is visable at the edges of the kitchen, and it became obvious where original cabinets had been, they were set on only 1 layer of plywood. I'll be tiling approx. 700 sq ft. Kitchen entry way and hallway to 3 bedrooms. If I must keep the 2 nd layer, i'll have to install a 2nd layer throughout the house to get it level. If I can loose it, I pray to the renovation gods that they didn't glue it down.

I'd appreciate anyones opinons or direction.

Center island now gone, you can see the two layers, the one layer was put in with the center island in place...

Closer

Edge of room, notice original sub-floor at edge

Thanks,
Nathan

Advertisement

Last edited by harleysilo; 06-19-2006 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Pics added for clarity
harleysilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Not a single suggestions?

Advertisement

harleysilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 11:14 PM   #3
renovations

Rewards Points: 250

You should have at least 1" and preferably 1-1/4" of plywood under tile. This is assuming that the joists are sized correctly and spaced 16" o/c. Then you put the cbu down over unmodified thinset, then the tile on modified thinset. The second layer of ply and the cbu should be screwed to the plywood not the joists.

What type of finish floor do you have in the rest of the house? Transitions are common, after a day or two you don't notice them, even in the dark.
Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote