Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2011, 12:32 PM   #1

Share |

Removing vinyl and lino for new floor

I am removing the vinyl flooring and the lino under it to lay 3/4 in. hardwood in one room and tile in another. The lino is stapeld in with long staples. When I tear up the lino the stapes stay in the plywood. Do I have to pull out all the staples or can I just hammer them down into the plywood flush with the floor? The tile floor is of course being covered with cement board, but the wood hardwood flooring is going to be layed down over the plywood.
Thanks,

H.O.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:38 PM   #2

Hey H.O.P.,
Removing carpet padding that has been stapled down leaves the same problem. It would take forever to pull out all the staples. Since you aren't installing the floor over the existing staple filled underlayment it would be bad if you hammered them down. Just get them as flat as possible, but the cement board isn't going to be hurt by a tiny bumps.-Gregg

gotogregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
Tileguy

Hi H O P,

Hold on there, Gregg may have given you some questionable info not knowing the full story.

Quote:
The lino is stapeld in with long staples. When I tear up the lino the stapes stay in the plywood.
Vinyl is usually installed over 1/4" underlayment and definitely not stapled. I'm not getting what you're saying. Staples are how the 1/4" underlayment is installed. Will you double check what you've got? For the ceramic part the 1/4" needs to be removed.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:51 PM   #4

Now you tell me... I have already removed all the staples left from the padding. The lino is stapled to the plywood and the staples are still in the plywood so I can hammer them flush with the plywood you are saying. The hardwood flooing is being layed directley to the plywood. Your saying if the staples are flush there shouldn's be a problem? In your response you said something about it would be bad. Just checking.
Thanks,
Old 04-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #5

Jazzman,
Yes there is 1/4 in. lino (wood underlayment) ontop of the plywood flooring. It is stapled in with 1 inch staples that are about 1/8 in. wide. I pulled a bunch out last night. I am pulling up all the 1/4 inch down to the plywood. I would be hammering the staples into the plywood flooring.