Removing Tile (or Not) Over Vinylay Flooring - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Removing tile (or not) over vinylay flooring

About 25 years ago I laid ceramic over the builder's vinyl sheetgoods in my kitchen. I roughened the vinylay and used thinset laid directly on top. It has held up perfectly but the tiles are now dated and shabby. We want to instal Pergo slate look laminate to freshen the room, and I am concerned that if I place it over the tile using an appropriate foam underlay, I will simply raise the levels too much (already higher because of the tile anyway) and make for awkward height transitions in the two doorways. So, if I try to remove the tile, does anyone have experience with how tightly adhered the tile might be, or is it likely that the thin set will simply scrape off the vinyl below with relative ease. I am not as young as I used to be, so I need to make this job as easy as possible (hence the laminate). Is the answer to simply lay the new over the old (sound) flooring, and try to engineer a wider more gently sloping transition? I don't want to appear rude, but I would prefer advice from someone who has actually done this, rather than conjecture, as I am getting too old to engage in experimental stuff.

Advertisement

Rusty69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 580

Get rid of the tile.
It should just pop right off since it was installed wrong anyway.
A tool like this with a flat chisel bit and some knee pad will work.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=bosch+bulldog

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I will check these out on the Canadian market - KiJiJi might also be a good source. However, as for the tile being installed wrongly, I respectfully suggest that since they have survived for 27 years, that is a matter for conjecture. When I first laid them, I did not anticipate keeping them for any great length of time (they were a job lot, bought when our budget was zip) so I would have been happy if they lasted four of five years. Putting them directly on the roughened vinyl sheetgoods was already planned to make removal easier. Twenty years ago, I would have been less hesitant about tackling the job, but old age has taken its toll. As things turned out, they just sort of became increasingly fashionable, until now!

Thanks for your input, it IS appreciated!
Rusty69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
laminate over tile