Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #1

Share |

Removing Tile on 2nd Floor

Hi Guys,

We are closing on our first home at the end of next month and have began to start thinking about decorating and such.

We purchased a 3 story townhome built in 2007 where the 1st floor has 1 bedroom/bathroom, 2nd floor is the main living area (dining room, bathroom, kitchen, living room) and 3rd floor has 3 more bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.

The 2nd floor of our new home has these beautiful tiles throughout the entire 2nd floor which i absoluitly love. The wifey on the other hand wants wood floors to match ther furniture we already own. My question for you DIY experts is how would i go about installing hardwood floors myself?

I could glue the hardwood floors over the tile, but that would leave this small step between the bathroom and kitchen where we don't want hardwood floors creating a tripping issue possibly?

The other option would be removing the tiles, however i'm not sure how to do this. I'm assuming there is just plywood, or something which the tiles were installed on, so i'm weary as to destroying the subfloor...

You help, tips, suggestions would be greatly appreciated on how to solve this problem.

Thanks!
Shelanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
Tileguy

Removing Tile on 2nd Floor

YOU need to talk to some local flooring pros. You are asking for big work and big trouble. Call two or three local pros and get bids and drag all the information you can out of them while they are there.

Then come back here with what you have learned and your new questions.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote