Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2011, 09:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

removing/reducing hardwood transitions

Hello. I posted a question earlier about baseboards and have got some informative answers, but now I'm wondering if I should perhaps do some flooring work on my place first.

My house has hardwood and tile on the main floor. My best guess is that the kitchen had hardwood laid down first, then the owner eventually did the livingroom/dining room/hallways with hardwood later. The issue is that he didn't put them at the same level as eachother. The kitchen is perhaps 0.75" higher than the rest, which doesn't seem like much, but anyone that crosses these (and they are in high traffic areas), generally stumble or roll their foot on them. It sounds like a ton of work (probably 850 sq ft), but what would be involved in pulling up the hardwood and putting in another subfloor to even these out? I'm fine leaving the entryway tile at the lower level and only doing the hardwood.

If possible, I suppose I could lift up the kitchen floor and try to find a thinner sub floor, and then I'd only be doing perhaps 300 sq ft in a fairly rectangular area.

Thanks in advance

Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

What you are proposing is a costly fix,though I have had customers pay me to do this, so it may be important enough to you to spend the time/money.

Firstly I would recommend what is called a clamshell reducer. It is a standard transition that handles the problem that you are running into. If that solution isn't good enough, you can make a custom transition that will make a more gradual transition, this is actually one of my specialties that has won me many jobs.

If that isn't sufficient you can install a second layer of flooring over the first (though you must install perpendicularly to the original direction).

Best,
Jamy Spencer
www.stlwoodfloors.com

Jamy Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:35 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 8

Post a picture of the transition if you can----Also see if you can figure out why the kitchen is higher than the other areas.----Lift a floor register ---look from underneath ----What ever it takes.

Welcome Spencer!------Mike------