Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-15-2011, 10:04 PM   #1

Share |

Removing a piece of glued down flooring

Hi,

I installed some Bellawood Flooring in my living room. This house has been an ongoing project, and a year later I finally installed marble tile in the connecting kitchen.

My problem now is transitioning the wood floor with the tile. What I'm realizing is that where I stopped my wood flooring is not straight with the tile. After todays of thinking about it, I'm thinking the best thing to do is cut a very small section of the wood flooring with a circular saw set to the depth of the wood. Scrap off glue and moisture barrier. That way I can cut the final line of tile the same length leaving just a small 1/16 inch gap and fill with a caulk?

The height of the tile is very near the same as the wood floor. I really want to avoid using a transition molding because I used one in the foyer and did not like the results. My main concern is the when cutting the wood will it chip, and if not am I going to have a hard time getting the adhesive up? It's only about 10 linear ft long and 2 inches is the widest piece I will be cutting (it's not straight). Anyways, thanks for y'alls help.

babybull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:17 PM   #2

Cut the wood out in the door way. Install the marble with a schluter strip. The strip will protect the edge of the marble. Then cut a new peice of wood to fit up against the strip. It would be best to cut this peice on a table saw. You can cut more accurately and at an angle if needed. By cutting flush with the tile there will be no expantion problems as long as you left expantion everywhere else.

woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman58 View Post
Cut the wood out in the door way. Install the marble with a schluter strip. The strip will protect the edge of the marble. Then cut a new peice of wood to fit up against the strip. It would be best to cut this peice on a table saw. You can cut more accurately and at an angle if needed. By cutting flush with the tile there will be no expantion problems as long as you left expantion everywhere else.
Thanks for the reply unfortunately you responded after I had already went ahead with the work. Maybe I didn't make it clear, but the wood flooring was installed over a year ago. I am now installing the tile. I ended up cutting the wood with a circular saw to the depth of the wood, so the blade did not touch the slab. I scrapped up the left over adhesive and moisture barrier. I didn't use any schluter strip but instead life about a 1/4 gap between the tile and wood that I was going to caulk? Hope this is not going to cause problems later?
Old 03-17-2011, 11:38 PM   #4

I have another question for those that can help. I have installed the tile it is a Ivory (white organza) polished marble. Do I need to seal the tile before I grout? I know I'm supposed to use unsanded. I've also read to caulk the edges not to grout? This is going in the kitchen and was going to caulk around the cabinets, but didn't know if I caulk first or grout first?
Old 03-18-2011, 05:45 AM   #5

Caulk after grout. That way you don't have to wait for grout to set up.
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:54 AM   #6
DIY staff

I always seal natural stone before grouting----Let's see what others do.

What do the directions on your grout recommend?---Mike---