Removing Paint On Concrete - Small Scale - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Removing Paint on Concrete - small scale

If I am putting Ceramic tile down on a basement floor with 8 year old floor paint within a small area (70 sq feet), will an orbital sand with the lowest grit possible work well enough. My understanding is that you only want to use mechanical means to get it off. Furthermore, my understanding is that you only need 25-50% of teh concrete exposed if this is NOT to be a walking surface which it isn't.

I am putting flooring down on my basement for a recroom. It is a dry basement with a combination of great lanscaping pulling everything away from the house (during the Northeast flooding rains this year, the only time water got into my basement was when a sump failed), and drylock on the walls.

The floors were finished with Quickrete's floor paint by the previous owner about 8 years ago.

I am installing Carpet tiles in the room, but there is a newer small wood stove that I do plan to use down there. I read online that you want to have atleast 18" between it and anything flamable. to be safe, I creating a 36" tile barrier. The problem is of course the paint on the concrete.

Advertisement

bjmarchini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,628

Quote:
Furthermore, my understanding is that you only need 25-50% of teh concrete exposed if this is NOT to be a walking surface...
BALONEY !!! Where do you guys come up with this stuff. The standard for 50 years years has required a minimum of 80% of bonding coverage, never 25% to 50%. Doesn't matter if it is a "walking surface" or not.

Try the sander and see what happens.

Advertisement

Old 12-21-2011, 10:10 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

You know how it happens. You ask a guy, who knows a guy. And of course he really doesn't know.

Ok, so I should just bore it down until I have about 80% exposed. Sound good. I am think that I should probably use a 40 grit on this. I usually don't go lower than 80.

I have a breathing mask I use with my Graco so I guess I will use that and probably also have the son wearing pollen mask with the shop vac and filter bag to pick up the paint dust as I pull it out. Who knows what nasties are in there. Gonna be alot of fun tonight!
bjmarchini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,628

Quote:
Ok, so I should just bore it down until I have about 80% exposed.
If we split hairs then I would say you should grind more than that. Grind all you can. Why take a path of least resistance?

When installing tile the 80% recommendation is because you aren't always to going to be able to get 100% bonding for several reasons. If you only grind off 80% then you still won't come up to the 80% bonding-recommendation when installing the tile if some of that area is going to waste in the abbreviated grinding attempt.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

You could eleviate all this worry if you purchased or made a hearth pad...

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...mb=Yg76ta/GT10