Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2014, 10:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Removing old tiles :-\ Maybe Abestos?

So I started my Kitchen remolding project which included redoing the floors.
I smashed up all the tiles and found a vinyl tiles underneath. So I scrap that up as well. It left glue on the ply wood and left some paper like stuff. I got dust all over the house. I don't why I didnt block off the kitchen. :wall:
I'm not worried that paper material is abestos. from my research I found that:

1.) Common in 9x9, 11x11, and 13x13
2.) Rare in 12x12 tiles
3.) Not much information found about large Vinyl \ Linoleum sheets
4.) Abestos tiles usually crumble with age.
5.) have a black or brown adhesive

My Flooring Layers are as follow
Tiles
Vinyl \ Linoleum
1/4 Plywood
HARDWOOD

Here are some pictures:

I havent found any pics of tiles with abestos that leave a residue like that behind. I believe my vinyl was in large sheets beach when i pulled them up they were definitely bigger that 12x12. The sheets came up pretty well and didnt crumble still pretty flexible. I have my Tile guy coming to retile this floor. Should I have him wait so we can get it tested or have him go ahead and re-tile.

longvl85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:24 AM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,116

Actually 12 x 12 tiles were made for years with asbestos. The brown/black adhesive may have more asbestos than the tiles.

http://www.floorexpert.com/armstrong...d?OpenDocument
And they sold all remaining stock after they quit making them.
http://www.asbestosresource.com/asbestos/tile.html

As you can see, asbestos was first put in 12x12 tiles in 1962 and was sold well into the 1980s.

rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:14 PM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Yep. I've seen it in 9x9s and 12x12s and the adhesive, no matter what color and in old sheet flooring, particularly in the backer which often looks like paper. Only one way to be sure and that is to test each component. Sounds like you're a little late for testing. Really not good that you've dusted your house with this stuff. Damp wipe everything, rinse your rag often. Use a HEPA vac on things that can't be wiped. When your finished bag the rags and the HEPA vac filter. Dispose of the water someplace safe. Keep the stuff damp to keep it from becoming airborne. If the flooring contractor is going over the rest of it without disturbing it, then go for it. It is then encapsulated below a new floor and doesn't pose a hazard.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:36 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

There seems to be some confusion. You say several times the resilient flooring you removed were "tiles". I don't think so. The pics clearly shows the backing left on the 1/4" ply was from sheet goods.

Quote:
I'm not worried that paper material is abestos.
(asbestos)

You should be cuz if that floor was made before the early '80's, it's highly likely it does contain asbestos.

Quote:
1.) Common in 9x9, 11x11, and 13x13
I've never seen 11x11 or 13x13. VAT was 9x9 & 12x12 with the exception of some special patterns in unusual sizes. Thicknesses were 1/16, .080, 3/32 & 1/8". The last two were considered for commercial use.

Quote:
2.) Rare in 12x12 tiles
Obviously false.

Quote:
3.) Not much information found about large Vinyl \ Linoleum sheets
Backing such as what I think I see in your pics contain asbestos. Armstrong called their backing "Hydrocord". It was better than the old paper backing used on some sheet goods. One benefit was it showed less indentations from shoe heels some ladies were wearing back then.

Quote:
4.) Abestos tiles usually crumble with age.
Not necessarily. Maybe when disturbed.
*Note; you may be thinking of "asphalt" tiles, very often called asbestos tiles here. Asphalt tiles were mostly 9x9x1/8" although also made in 3/32". They contained asbestos. Because of the petroleum content, old asphalt tiles would "crystalize" once they dried out. They became very brittle, almost like glass. (crystalize)

Quote:
5.) have a black or brown adhesive
Right. The black adhesive is a tar based product. It is pressure sensitive and it remains tacky for almost ever. Two varieties; Emulsion, and a better quality Cut-back. You should assume both contained asbestos.

What now?

You need to remove the 1/4" ply. Shoulda done that in the beginning with the old sheet vinyl still attached. You should also remove the hardwood and get down to the subfloor. Then let us know what you've got.

Quote:
I have my Tile guy coming to retile this floor. Should I have him wait
Yes, for several reasons. Q. What installation method will he be using? Tell us about how the framing is built & the subfloor? How old is this house and where is it?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:31 AM   #5
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,116

I have never seen any 11x11 or 13x13 VCT or VAT either Jaz, but I have only been in the business since 1973, so I guess I could have missed them.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:56 AM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty
but I have only been in the business since 1973,
Only since '73? All along I thought you were an old-timer.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote