Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2010, 07:53 PM   #1

Share |

Removing linoleum

We are in the process of removing the linoleum in our kitchen....when we lifted it the backing stuck to the subfloor in alot of the areas....is there a way to remove this backing and the glue?

Thanks,

Sue....

SueB03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Removing linoleum

Wet it and scrape.

rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:52 AM   #3

Removing linoleum

Thanks Rusty!! I had heard the same thing and we tried that but its not working.....it helps to remove the backing of the linoleum but the glue is still there.....We have a huge kitchen and i'm thinking we made a huge mistake in ripping up the old linoleum but it was coming up in alot of areas and everything I read they said if its coming up to remove it...oh well....any other suggestions? How do professional flooring people remove all that when they rip up a floor? Thanks again for your help!

Sue.....
Old 03-27-2010, 09:17 AM   #4

Removing linoleum

what are you putting back?
Old 03-27-2010, 09:39 AM   #5

Removing linoleum

we are thinking about putting down some of the vinyl tiles that look like real tile...they are not the flimsy vinyl tiles but i think the name of them are "italia stone".....any thoughts on what we can do? like i said its a huge kitchen and going inch by inch just isnt working to try to get that stuff up....
Old 03-27-2010, 09:44 AM   #6

Removing linoleum

you may need to install a new underlayment to satisfy warranty issues anyway, so a buffer with a fiberglass cutting pad would probably get you to where the new onderlayment can be installed
Old 03-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #7

Removing linoleum

thanks for the help...we are not worried about warranty issues....the tile is pretty cheap and we can replace one if need be....not really looking to put down a whole new underlayment either......would we have serious issues if we just sanded down what we have already gotten up on the floor and then just put down the adhesive onto the paper on the parts we cant get up? the tiles say not to use any additional adhesive as they are peel and stick but everywhere i read about them people said to use additional adhesive as it gives you a few seconds to adjust them....i know probably removing all this paper and glue is the correct way of doing it but wow what a job it is!!!!
Old 03-27-2010, 10:00 AM   #8

Removing linoleum

just remember what is under your tiles will most likely telegraph thru, so clean and smooth be better
Old 03-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #9

Removing linoleum

i am really new to this....what do you mean "telegraph" thru? the paper and glue would come up thru the tiles? now im confused...and scared! lol
Old 03-27-2010, 10:10 AM   #10

Removing linoleum

i have found with any type of vinyl flooring if you have irregularities like bad seams, dirt, lumps of left over material you will see this in the finished floor as it conforms to what is under it. . it would probably help you to talk to your supplier and express your concerns and ask what you need for a base to lay the tiles on
Old 03-27-2010, 10:16 AM   #11

Removing linoleum

ok thanks for all your help
Old 03-28-2010, 07:10 AM   #12
DIY staff

Removing linoleum

Sue----There is usually a layer of 1/4 inch plywood underlayment under the old sheet goods-

Is there an underlayment? If there is --remove it,along with all the glue and old bits of junk--

then put in a new clean 1/4 inch underlayment.

Any peal and stick flooring requires a flawlessly clean surface to stick properly.

Think of it as a big square piece of tape--ask your self --"will tape stick to this surface?"

---Have fun--Mike--

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote