Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-25-2010, 09:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 262
Question

Removing haze from ceramic tile

I finished the grouting to my tile today. Everything looks great but I wiped everything down with a slightly damp sponge three different times and I am still getting the haze. How can I clean the haze off of my tile.

tripower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

use clean water next time and change it and your rag so it stays clean.
eventually the haze will be gone

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:16 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
use clean water next time and change it and your rag so it stays clean.
eventually the haze will be gone

I used absolutely clean water. And I thoroughly rinsed the sponge. I will try again.
tripower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:27 AM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,192

Try a little white vinegar with water 50/50. Scrub over a small area then rinse your sponge and drag it (one time) along a straight line, turn your sponge over and drag it (one time) along another straight line. Keep your sponge rinsed and keep turning it. One drag per side per rinse. Try that and see if it helps.

If you still aren't satisfied with the results you can buy a "Grout Haze Remover" at the home centers. Follow the directions on the label.

Some tiles are harder to clean of the initial grout haze than others but they will clean up.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:06 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,002

Tripower,
If you keep wiping the grout that is still setting up, you will keep pulling a little out of the joint and cause the haze on the tile. If your tiles are clean of everything but the slight haze, and your grout joints are looking good, stop and let it dry. Once dry a dry towel will wipe the haze right off.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:49 AM   #6
Tileguy

There was a time when a dry towel would wipe away any haze remaining on glazed tile after the grout had lost all of its moisture. The thing now days is that porcelain ceramic tile has become very popular. And justly so, abundant porcelain ceramic tile offerings is the best thing to come along in the tile industry in a long long time.

But, the problem with porcelain ceramic tile that doesn't always exist with the dated standard ceramic tiles is porcelain can develop microscopic pores in the surface of the tile. Porcelain comes both glazed and unglazed and in many textures. Add the many textures available with the inherent microscopic pores that hold on to stains temporarily and you sometimes have a haze issue to deal with. A dry towel used after the grout has dried may not remove the haze as in years past.

This is why I suggested the mild acid of white vinegar. If that doesn't work there are haze removal products available that will address this problem. The haze isn't a big deal and it can be removed but it is not necessarily as easily removed as it once was.

I don't know that this thread refers to porcelain tile but it sounds as if it does.

Last edited by Bud Cline; 05-26-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:51 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,002

Bud,
Thanks for clearing that up. I haven't run into many porcelain tiles that I had a hard time cleaning. Mostly the heavier textured pieces are always a bit more work to clean. I do the single swipe with the clean edge of the sponge for the final cleaning.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:34 PM   #8
Tileguy

I have never had a tile surface that offered any real challenges to clean perfectly. It surprises me how often people come to these forums with this problem. I find treaded quarry tile the most difficult to clean and even at that it has never been a real problem. I realize decades of experience are helpful and recognizing up front the degree of effort that will be required is an advantage, but still.....
Old 05-30-2010, 01:25 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

read the directions on the grout , HAR , It usually says wipe it with cheese cloth after a few hours , It is very painstaking to try it wet , Better off buffing the haze dry , Or on a unused tile try an abrasive kitchen pad for pans , Maybe a non stick and just a regular abrasive , I do it all the time , tacomahardwoodfloors.com
tacomahardwood. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:41 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

i like to use a pice of old carpet about 12"x6" after applying grout with the pad. i let the grout dry haze over and while the grout is still damp in the joint begin rubbing in circular motion. it leaves the tile clean and the grout lines perfect every time. just sweep up afterwards and no haze. if there is a little left a clean dry bath towel will complete a perfect job. this works well when your doing the grout by yourself with no cleanup man.
wildrush01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 10

if the haze is a prob. on the grout line. first, this usually means you didnt clean the tile good before grouting. if it has set up already, you can use an acid grout cleaner, heavy duty or commercial grade. lite haze you mix 1 part to 4 parts water or as recommended by manufacturer. i use a scrub brush on pole and dip in bucket and apply with verticle strokes. dont worry to much about the (acid)... it is already a dilluted form and will usually neutrallize rapidlly on its own. most recommend about 10 min. and mop up with warm water afterwards. if very stubern, use straight from bottle by dipping a grout brush (looks like a large tooth brush) into solution and scrub joint line. sponge or mop up within the recomended time frame. remember to use a good pair of gloves as this is still acid.

wildrush01 is offline   Reply With Quote