Removing Glue From Hardwood Floors - Sanding? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2010, 02:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Removing glue from hardwood floors - sanding?

Hello all,

I had parquet flooring in my house which was covering the original hardwood floors. The parquet was glued down and came up pretty easily with a hammer and prybar, but i'm left with all the adhesive that was used to glue down the parquet.

I want to save the original hardwoods and refinish them. What is the best way to remove the glue or adhesive that is left? Will the large floor sander (the walk behind kind you can rent from home depot) do the job?

Advertisement

jbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

that floor sander will remove it just fine.
use the walk behind PAD sander (not the drum style) and 36 grit the glue spots before doing the bulk of the floor.
resume with 50 or 60 grit to surface the floor and continue with higher grits until you are happy enough.
stain and finish accordingly.

have fun.

Advertisement

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Really depends on what type of glue was used to glue down the parquet. If it was water based, a drum sander will remove it. If it's solvent based, you'll need adhesive remover to disolve the glue. Best way to tell the difference is if the glue is kinda gummy when ya scrape it with a knife blade, it's solvent based. If it powders up with scraping, it's water based & will sand just fine.
pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote