DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Removing floor tile glue from a wood floor

13K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Big Bob 
#1 ·
Removed the carpet from my kitchen floor, only to find 12x12 floor tiles under it. Removed the floor tiles, and there is a wood floor under it {like through out the hole house}.

The glue, or adhesive if you prefer, is black and still kinda sticky. Not sure if this was self adhesive tile, or some sort of mastic used to put the tile down. Any way, I want to get the glue up, not sure the best way. I dont want to damage the floor being as how I'm not sure if I'm going to refinish the floors in the entire house, our recarpet part of it, and put tile or something else in the kitchen. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
As a hardwood floor man.. I say replace with something that can resist water better the wood. I always try and talk my clients out of putting hardwood in the kitchens and bathrooms. Sounds like the floor had been down awhile. Black glue means that is was oil base glue. I just sanded a floor with a very rough paper. (12grit,40grt,80grt,and100grt.) Everything was black when I was done. U have to have a lot of floor left to do that=) Or you can clean it wish a hand scraper, lacquerer thinner, and hand sander.

Flooring=)

#3 ·
what to do...what to dooo...?

beauty is in the eye of the beholder..and the homeowner that has the decision to make....and knows their budget.

Know, that if you have a neat o'l house worthy of period restoration, future buyers might $$$ appreciate the efforts you make to save the kitchen wood floor. (odds are this is heart pine ... now antique clear heart pine and very expensive to replace with like quality and kind.) even with black residue in the grain and some historical staining [distressed].

Has the floor been sanded before? probably not. Does it have some stains..sure why else did they cover it up...are the stains really bad?
get the old owners to confess or roll the dice and try removal to see for yourself.

Will the floor be hard to maintain? keep dry and clean +( screen and re-coat surface as needed)

OR

input your lifestyle, future residence plans, expectations, and your vision of the perfect kitchen floor for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.