DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Removing damaged bathroom subfloor

7K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  JazMan 
#1 ·
After trying to tear up water damaged bathroom subfloor, figured out that I have to take out the sink and toilet. However, before tackling this and being without, have some questions about what I will need to lay tile floor. I've laid tile in bath once on crawl space, replacing subfloor, installing wonderboard, elongating flange (yuck), installing tile, grout, etc. This time, we're on a basement floor and I want to make sure I have proper support; if not, need to know what to buy. I have 2 x 8 joists, if that's what you call them, cause when I got the ruler out, they measured 1 1/2"; is there such a width or was there or is 2" standard; house built in 1957. Anyway, on top of that is 1 1/4" x 12 diagonal wood floor. Or is this supposed to be 1 x 12? Is this enough support or do I need to reinforce? If so, how? Also, what size width subfloor is recommended? Have further investigation, but at this point, I'm thinking when one steps out of the shower, water flowed back toward tub and under linoleum and old, original 8 x 8 tile and rotted subfloor. Everyone says tile floor should be flat, but was thinking about putting in a floor drain, thinking about slightly raising tile around for waterflow? Any thoughts

#4 ·
How would you know you have enough support without knowing the span of the joists?:whistling2:

Self,
A little confusing with the terms you use. You say the subfloor is made with 5/4 by 12". Later you ask ; "what size width subfloor is recommended?" as if you're replacing the subfloor. You probably mean what thickness underlayment should be installed over the subfloor....no?

After all old flooring and underlayments is removed, re-crew the subfloor, I recommend 3 crews at each joists. Check that the sub is not cupped or bowed. Then install underlayment grade (not sheathing) ply rated for ext. use (exposure 1). Fasten underlayment to the sub only, not to the joists. Be sure to run sheets across the joists and gap properly. This plywood should be a min. 3/8", thicker is recommended.

Now you can install either a tile backer board, or a product such as Ditra. I like Ditra best. Although not necessary for this type of application you can apply seam treatment of Kerdi Band to make seams water tight. The Kerdi can also be applied to the floor/wall joint to make it waterproof too. Forget the drain. BTW, you're supposed to stay in the tub or shower while drying.

Jaz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.