Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #1

Share |

Removing concrete sealant and leveling

So we have a patio we had enclosed a few years ago, we sealed the concrete then had carpet put down. We are now removing the carpet (not totally sure what we are going to do - we are open to suggestions, keeping in mind multiple dogs and small children), and want to level the concrete with the self-leveling cement. I have done a bit of research and am not sure what would be easier and safer (we have 3 dogs). Sanding the concrete or acid-etching it. It is 20'x25'.
I am pretty handy around the house for a woman (I have poured concrete and just recently laid ceramic tile in 2 bathrooms) and always up to learning how to do new things. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. I am located in northern Utah.
Leisha70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #2

If that carpet is glued down your in for a fun job trying to scrape off all that old glue.
I'd forget about the acid etching and concider tile instead.
Reason being acid etching will require a perfectly clean surface, not likly after glues been applyed.
Tile will hold up great with kids and dogs, it's aslo easy to just sweep up.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisha70 View Post
So we have a patio we had enclosed a few years ago, we sealed the concrete then had carpet put down. We are now removing the carpet (not totally sure what we are going to do - we are open to suggestions, keeping in mind multiple dogs and small children), and want to level the concrete with the self-leveling cement. I have done a bit of research and am not sure what would be easier and safer (we have 3 dogs). Sanding the concrete or acid-etching it. It is 20'x25'.
I am pretty handy around the house for a woman (I have poured concrete and just recently laid ceramic tile in 2 bathrooms) and always up to learning how to do new things. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. I am located in northern Utah.
If the carpet is not glued down,you can't use a self leveling product until you remove the sealer,or scarify the surface.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #4

thanks - the carpet is only glued around the edges. I ended up renting a sander/buffer with this diamond grit. It worked really well on removing the sealant and almost all of the glue.
Leisha70 is offline   Reply With Quote