Removing Baseboards For New Flooring? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2015, 08:59 AM   #1
Drywall and Painting Pro

Rewards Points: 850

Removing baseboards for new flooring?

Don't forget to score the caulk line first!

If you're removing your baseboards for new flooring, don't forget to take a razor knife and score the top of the baseboard caulk line where the baseboard meets the wall. If you don't do this you're going to tear the paper on the drywall and create a whole lot more work for yourself.

If you already have torn the paper on the drywall when you removed your baseboards, this video will show you how to repair the damaged drywall.

Advertisement

Sir MixAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sir MixAlot For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-01-2015)
Old 08-01-2015, 10:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,906

If you actually tear the surface paper off of drywall so the gypsum is exposed, don't panic because you can still fix that.

Simply apply strips of fiberglass mesh tape across the damaged area so that the fiberglass mesh goes from the undamaged paper across the exposed gypsum and back up onto undamaged paper again.

Apply two coats of fiberglass mesh with the second coat of strips running perpendicular to the first coat. Paint over each coat with white wood glue diluted with water to make it into a paintable consistance. As the glue dries, it'll bond the fiberglass mesh to the surface. Allow time for the first coat of glue to dry before applying the second coat of fiberglass mesh strips.

Now, skim coat over that repair, sand smooth (being careful no to sand too deep so as to damage the fiberglass mesh), prime and paint.

Effectively what this repair does is replace the missing paper with fiberglass mesh which is almost as strong, and saves the trouble of replacing the damaged drywall.

PS:
Zinsser makes a product called "Guardz" which is made specifically for sealing the brown underlying paper when the face coat paper on drywall is torn off. Guardz is absorbed into that brown paper and once dry, prevents the brown paper from absorbing moisture from drywall joint compound, primer or whatever, and coming loose. I've never used Guardz, but I can see how it could be applied as a sealer over the damaged drywall before applying the first coat of fiberglass mesh strips to prevent the exposed brown paper from absorbing moisture.

Advertisement

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 08-01-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:57 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 474

Quote:
Simply apply strips of fiberglass mesh tape across the damaged area so that the fiberglass mesh goes from the undamaged paper across the exposed gypsum and back up onto undamaged paper again.
Why is this needed?
BrowneBearLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:39 AM   #4
Drywall and Painting Pro

@BrowneBearLLC , Definitely not needed in this situation.

I guess Nestor was just talking about a worse case scenario of drywall damage when baseboards are removed and the damage is past the brown paper and the gypsum is exposed.

Also @Nestor_Kelebay , if you watch the video I primed the area with a mini roller (whizzy) and Gardz Problem Drywall Surface Sealer before I did any mud work.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:01 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 212

What's wrong with putting the flooring down up to the existing base boards and then add a trim piece over it to hide the cracks.

Just seems like a lot of work to me.
MT Stringer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:32 PM   #6
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 4,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Stringer View Post
What's wrong with putting the flooring down up to the existing base boards and then add a trim piece over it to hide the cracks.

Personally I don't like the look and it makes the base look shorter.
The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
Sir MixAlot (08-03-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 01:19 PM   #7
Drywall and Painting Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Stringer View Post

It certainly can be done that way. Just a not so streamlined look you get by not removing the baseboards when new flooring is going to be installed.

But most of the time homeowners usually opt for newer updated and taller style baseboards when it comes time to replace old flooring.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Sir MixAlot For This Useful Post:
MT Stringer (08-03-2015)