Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2009, 06:30 PM   #1

Share |

Remove vinyl?

A few questions on an upcoming porcelain 12" x 12" floor tile install in a small powder room:
1. Current sheet vinyl (perimeter glued) should be removed prior to cement board? If yes, if some of surface of plywood underlayment comes off/is damaged when vinyl is removed, is it ok to use the thinset under the cement board as "filler" or does plywood need to be repaired first with a wood putty (I assume 1/16 to 1/8" deep surface damage may happen in a few areas when removing the vinyl)?
2. I am installing tiles on a diagonal so I'll need to cut a bunch in half; will a tile cutter than snaps tile work ok or should I only use a wet saw?

That's all for now; I imagine more questions to come.

TIA,
Bob

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:05 PM   #2
DIY staff

Remove vinyl?

Bob 22-The 1/4 inch underlayment should come off as well. Make sure the subfloor is at least 3/4 inch plywood. OSB is not a great subfloor for tile IMO.

Others will chime in about floor structure so I'll leave that to them.

I like to thinset under the durrock just to make sure there are no hollow spots.

If you have a GOOD tile cutter with an adjustable breaker foot you should be able to 'scratch and snap' on the diagonal.

I suggest using a wet saw however.

A latex modified firmset is what you will want to set the tiles. DO NOT use the pre-mixed junk sold to unsuspecting buyers. It is a failure waiting to happen.

Good luck--have fun---MIKE---

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:43 PM   #3
PHB Construction LLC

Remove vinyl?

I've always trowel thin set between the sub and backer board. If I'm not mistaken it's part of the backer boards warranty. Don't quote me on that though. We get the cheap stuff (thin set) to go between the sub and BB then use a very good thin set product to lay the tiles.

I agree with mike about a wet saw for someone who doesn't lay tile everyday, it's my opinion the "snap and crack" models are not worth it that you can buy in the box store and the ones that are worth it are two expensive for the one or two time user. Just rent a wet saw if it's a one time deal. I actually use my "snap and crack" (sigma) on all jobs and rarely use a wet saw.
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote