Remove Slate Tile Enhancer? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 258

remove slate tile enhancer?

Hello,

A week ago I had a mosaic slate backsplash installed in our kitchen. It turned out to be one of the most beautiful additions I've ever seen. Each 1 foot sheet has 2"x2" squares - and each is very different. Light tans, dark greys and there are even some with some sort of metallic flare.

My wife, however, wanted enhancer. We were told to wet down the backsplash to see how it would look.

Our guy came out and applied the enhancer - it was some "very expensive" stuff - deeply penetrates.

Now - sadly - we're heartbroken. It made things very dark - most of the tiles now also blend together. And it's got a shine vs. the chalky look we liked.

I contacted the manufactuer of the enhancer. Yep, it's permanent. Even moreso because this stuff deeply penetrates.

So - I'm about to grab a hammer and chisel and start removing the whole backsplash and have it reinstalled.

But before I do - does anyone have any ideas? The only one I can think of is sanding it. In fact - I tried it on a few tiles. I actually sanded just half of one to see if I could tell the difference - but it wasn't much. Maybe I didn't push hard enough or have the right grit.

The other problem is that each tile isn't flat - it's natural - lots ot little ridges and grooves. Like I'd need a sandblaster or some kind of spongy sanding block.

Since I'm facing a rip-out anyway - I guess anything is worth a try.

Any ideas?

Advertisement

denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,636

remove slate tile enhancer?

You are wasting your time, you won't be able to rejuvenate that tile the way you want it. If you are game to start over then that's where you should place your energy.

Stone enhancers do darken the stone, that's how they work. Stone sealers do not darken the stone but you never see them once they dry. There are some tricks however. Just depends on the type of visual finish that appeals to you.
No finish.
Dull Lustre/Matt finish.
Shiny like a new Cadillac finish.

Advertisement