Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2006, 01:59 PM   #1

Share |

Remove Plywood Subfloor?

My builder installed carpet in the upstairs bathrooms. I want to put in ceramic tile. should/can I remove the plywood floor and install backerboard directly on the joists, or must I live with the buildup height and put the backerboard on the existing plywood?
cpbraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 04:11 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Remove Plywood Subfloor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbraun View Post
My builder installed carpet in the upstairs bathrooms. I want to put in ceramic tile. should/can I remove the plywood floor and install backerboard directly on the joists, or must I live with the buildup height and put the backerboard on the existing plywood?

Carpet in the upstairs bathroom?? Yuck.

Absolutely leave the plywood down...you need that for a solid subfloor to install your tile on. You want as little flex as possible in the flooring to limit tile cracking and grout coming out.
Try using 1/4" Cement board and just install a transition threshold to adjust for the diference in height.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 06:49 PM   #3
renovations

Remove Plywood Subfloor?

You have to leave the plywood, in fact you should probably add more. What thickness is the plywood? How large (depth: ie two inches X how much?) are the joists? Can you figure out the span of the joists? Backerboard does not add strength to the floor, it merely seperates the tile from the possibility of movement in the plywood.
Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 08:24 AM   #4

Remove Plywood Subfloor?

Assuming your floor is sufficiently strong enough as per Bonus's questions, I would use Schluter Ditra. It will not significantly raise the hight of your floor and will provide a waterproof membrane and uncoupling layer that protects against tile cracking and delaminating.

http://www.schluter.com/
Blaze25 is offline   Reply With Quote