Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2012, 07:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Remove just tile & Reuse base??

Hi folks, I have a 10 year old house and want to re-do the tile in the bathroom floor. The current tile is the little polygon shaped type attached to mesh in the back. Using a hammer drill and chisel I was able to test and knock off just a few of the tiles I didn't go all the way into the base.

MY QUESTION IS: do I have to remove all the way down to the plywood too or can I knock the tiles off and then just "re-thinset" and "re-tile" over the existing backerboard/thinset base??

I have read I can tile over the tile which does seem pretty solid but I believe the mesh backing makes it easy to pop just the tile off. Removing everything looks like a PITA!! So my other option would be tile over tile!

PLEASE HELP...!!

hollywood33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 22

Tell us what the old tile is set over---reusing the old backer is usually a nightmare---if set with cement based thinset the old cement board will be ruined--if set with a mastic--the old cement board will also be ruined.

If set over plywood---well--you need a tile backer if you want the safest job---

Pictures help--or a better description of what's there will do.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Tell us what the old tile is set over---reusing the old backer is usually a nightmare---if set with cement based thinset the old cement board will be ruined--if set with a mastic--the old cement board will also be ruined.

If set over plywood---well--you need a tile backer if you want the safest job---

Pictures help--or a better description of what's there will do.
Ok cool...first level is plywood base, then some type of mortar to which cement board was attached along with screws, then thinset, then the tiles which are on a mesh backing.

Like i mentioned i can slide the chisel right under tiles and pop them off one by one with some force.

I want to know if I can leave the current cement board down and put new tiles on top after removing old poly-shaped tiles.
Attached Thumbnails
Remove just tile & Reuse base??-2012-08-12_11-24-14_873.jpg  

Last edited by hollywood33; 08-12-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
DIY staff

Yes you could reuse the backer board.

I think pulling it out and starting fresh will be easier and give you a smooth surface--leading to a better job---

But in one word--YES---
hollywood33 (08-12-2012)
Old 08-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Yes you could reuse the backer board.

I think pulling it out and starting fresh will be easier and give you a smooth surface--leading to a better job---

But in one word--YES---
Thanks Mike, just busting up to the subfloor is causing so much dust. That mesh backing makes popping those tiles off kinda easy.

Is there any thin-set/mortar you would recommend to use over the old backer board since it still it will still have old thin-set remaining on top??
Old 08-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
DIY staff

You wwill want to use a powdered -modified thinset---"Mud" What Is It? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom - DIY Home Improvement Forum

Also--if the surface is not flat, a Self leveling compound could be used to bury the ridges of the old thinset.