Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Default

remove hardwood to get dishwasher to fit?


We recently purchased a new dishwasher only to find out that the builder had installed the old dishwasher on the subflooring instead of on top of the flooring. As a result, we don't have enough clearance to get the new dishwasher in (not even sure we have clearance to get the old one out). The installer will not touch it. He suggests removing some of the hardwood in front of the unit, but he isn't sure how much. Removing the counter is not really an option since it is part of a huge expanse of counter that includes the sink. Anyone have any alternate ideas? Or, if not, how much flooring we would have to remove? The current opening height is 33 7/8" and the unit needs a minimum of 34" to install.

weimgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Rewards Points: 0
Default

remove hardwood to get dishwasher to fit?


Are you sure the adjustable legs on it are backed fully in? How 'bout removing them entirely?

Weim as in Weimar?

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 0
Default

remove hardwood to get dishwasher to fit?


Well, that is part of the problem... the Sears installer would not leave the unit nor would he remove the old unit. Says he has to do everything at the same time. The unit was still wrapped up.

Weimar? Well, yes in a way. I have Weimaraners (originated in Weimar).
weimgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:14 PM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 12
Rewards Points: 0
Default

remove hardwood to get dishwasher to fit?


Have run into this problem more then once. The best solution that I have found, but by no means the easiest to do sometimes, is to remove or at least raise up the counter just enough to get the dishwasher out. In one instance I was able to use shims to raise the counter top just enough (once the mounting screws were removed and being VERY carefull) to get the old dishwasher out and the new one in. Hope this helps and best of luck.
Trainer019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Rewards Points: 0
Default

remove hardwood to get dishwasher to fit?


Quote:
Originally Posted by weimgirl View Post
nor would he remove the old unit.
OK, so you're not yet committed. Good.

I'd measure the store model of the new unit to within a sixteenth of an inch and check where you can take off some height any which way you can.

Gouging out material from the countertop bottom would be awful, but you might need to do this in only a limited area. You'll need a router.

Or, you might be able to raise the whole countertop 1/4" or so with trim strips.

The installers are probably told to avoid iffy installations, in case they end up having to buy you a whole new kitchen. Your risk/benefit tradeoff is different than his.

I've dealt with Sears before; I wouldn't buy this appliance on a credit card. Use cash or a check.

BTW, do your dogs do this?
"Since they were bred to be true members of the family, some Weimaraners suffer from severe separation anxiety."
I've seen this with a German Shepherd.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 05-08-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 0
Default

remove hardwood to get dishwasher to fit?


Sears doesn't have this model on display. We bought the day of the Cash for Clunker Appliances day, so we are stuck with it. If we return it, they charge a 15% restocking fee and we still don't have a working dishwasher. I assume they would have to get the old one out to fix it so we still need to deal with the opening issue.

My husband is considering the lifting of the countertop, but it is an extremely large area of countertop... still hard to do anything with the old one still in there and the new one not here. Thanks for the suggestions.

As for Weims... most of them do suffer from separation anxiety. They are very much "velcro" dogs. If you can give them enough exercise and things to do while you are gone, they can adjust, but I am not going tell you that I did not have to replace a lot of destroyed items. I also have a dog walker come during the day so they are not alone for such a long time. I had a German Shepherd before my Weims... very different dogs. My shepherd was very attached, but not to the same degree. I love Weims, part of their appeal is their loving nature, but you have to be willing to have them with you almost all of the time. They are not curl up in the corner dogs...
weimgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:29 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Rewards Points: 0
Default

remove hardwood to get dishwasher to fit?


Quote:
Originally Posted by weimgirl View Post
We bought the day of the Cash for Clunker Appliances day, so we are stuck with it. If we return it, they charge a 15% restocking fee and we still don't have a working dishwasher.
So you have already stepped onto the slippery slope.

Unwrap it and check that it works, at least electrically. The motor runs, the lights come on.
If it doesn't, it is returnable.

Then post photos and measurements, rear and front. I think this can be made to fit by removing the adjustable legs, and possibly other non-visible modifications.

With all the help & experience available on this forum I say you have a 90% chance of succeeding. This means you have a 10% chance of having to spend the fee. If the fee is $150 you have $15 riding on this gamble.

And for $150 you could take it to a machine shop if necessary and maybe still come out ahead. I'd do it, just to spite Sears.

This is a pretty interesting decision making problem, and Sears already knows the odds that they will be seeing you again. We don't, we can only estimate them.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 05-08-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:17 PM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 0
Default

remove hardwood to get dishwasher to fit?


Well, we managed to lift the counter top and shim it. So, now we just have to wait for the installers to come back with our new unit. Since we have already pulled the old one out, I don't even know why we need the installer... Too late, already paid for and they can hold our new unit for ransom.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
weimgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #9
Member
 
firehawkmph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Near Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 1,584
Rewards Points: 0
Default

remove hardwood to get dishwasher to fit?


Weim,
Did you ask the people at sears if you could get the installation fee refunded? Most of the time they are pretty accomodating. I would speak with the store manager. If you got the old one out already, the hard part is done. It seems like it would be worth a try.
Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PL premium on hardwood flooring - how to remove? annette.arial@bell.ca Flooring 5 10-18-2013 05:32 PM
dishwasher install - replacing copper feh Plumbing 7 03-21-2012 03:12 PM
Dishwasher powder instead of salt - Doh! Bottletops General DIY Discussions 0 03-03-2010 11:06 AM
DYI Project - Hardwood Flooring Install in Hall and Bedrooms godmaster Flooring 9 04-26-2009 09:22 PM
Remove a dent in my ss dishwasher Unity home owne Appliances 4 03-21-2009 08:30 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.