Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

To remove or to cover up?

That is the question. After a pretty good success replacing the 30 year old carpet in my sons room I'm now ready to tackle the 30 year old harvest gold kitchen linoleum So Its glued down and level. Floor isn't chipping but is embossed. Its the only layer of flooring and is on top of a 3/4 plywood sub floor with what looks to be an additional tongue and groove underlayment best I can tell from pulling back the copping and looking under the cabinets. Issues pulling it up include getting the oak molding pulled up and their appears to be a oak strip as a transition lining it up to an oak railing that boarders the sunken living room. I was able to pull up a small piece under the cabinet and the floor is very brittle and kinda snapped of. Not sure how well its glued down and have concerns about messing up the sub-floor in ripping it out.

I have enough of a lip at the railing I can lay a new floor on top and still be below that lip. I am thinking of using a vinyl tile with grout. Concern I have about going over top of the floor is the best way to smooth out the embossing and adhesion of the vinyl tile. Looking for DIY because well money is highly limited and I detest the 30 year old nasty flooring in this house so I'm trying to replace it all myself. If I end up redoing it in a few years again thats fine I graduate college next year and will hopefully have more money then lol. Until then I have 2400 sq ft of nasty flooring to replace on a budget

So I'd appreciate suggestions pro's, con's on rip out or cover up? Hoping to avoid looking like I'm filming for an episode of DIY realities lol Thanks

mommiemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

if the house is also 30 years old so you KNOW this is the only floor covering there...
if it's in good shape you can probably go right over it with more vinyl sheet.

But anything else (like ceramic tile)? not so much.
As it's a kitchen... I can't see using anything but vinyl sheet.

hth

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
Tileguy

It is never wise to heap floor covering atop floor covering atop floor covering.

If you do ( and it sounds as if you will) the embossed vinyl can be smoothed using an "embossing leveller" first. That probably isn't necessary but Oh-well, it's your money.

Since you choose not to tell us which of the "vinyl tile with grout" products you intend to use we can not help you any more. It is not nice to keep secrets.

When you have that much tile to install it would be wise not to take any shortcuts.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #4

yes indeed bud is right thats alot of tile 2400 sq ft....taking a short cut now could kill you in the long run later,...just a thougth...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
Bud Cline (01-01-2012)
Old 01-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #5

I know its the only flooring because I bought the house from my mother and she and my father built the house. I'm looikng at the stainmaster luxury tile from lowes that I was wanting to do with grout. Reviews seem pretty good from what I have been reading. I'm only doing the kitchen in this stuff so about 300 sq ft. I can pull up the old floor and I really keep going back and forth I'm just scared about how well its glued down and how hard it will be to get up and I'm worried about pulling back the molding because its hardwood and I'm now painful aware of how much new costs if I damage it trying to remove it to get all the flooring off. I do want to do it right I'd like to have the flooring get me through maybe about 5 years before i need to worry about it. I do want to do it right. I read where people went over top of old flooring so I was wondering if that really works or if thats a bad idea. Thanks
mommiemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiemara View Post
I'm looikng at the stainmaster luxury tile from lowes that I was wanting to do with grout.
Over the last 30 years...
How many eggs have been dropped on that floor?
How many other gooey or syrupy or just plain wet things have dropped on that floor?
Now think about being on your knees to clean them up.

(I hate seeing tile in kitchens)
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:09 PM   #7

I read somewhere about asbestos in flooring made in the 70's I think..... google it and see what you are dealing with in terms of removal and disposal.
TammyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #8

Pictures???

Engineer3D is offline   Reply With Quote