Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-31-2006, 11:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Remove concrete subfloor in bathroom?

I've just moved into a 1929 home that has a concrete subfloor in the 2nd floor bathroom. There is a leak somewhere from the supply or drain piping in that bathroom, leaking onto the dining room ceiling below. In addition, I want to reroute some plumbing, as I'm putting in a clawfoot tub. Access to the pipes from the dining room ceiling is not feasible, since it's an artistic sculptured ceiling. I've started tearing up a portion of the concrete subfloor to get to the pipes, and am contemplating removing all of the concrete subfloor. In that case, I would rebuild a standard subfloor for ceramic tile (plywood subfloor, backer board, etc.). I know it's a huge job, but has anybody done this? Any recommendations or major concerns?

dascreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:58 AM   #2

It should be OK as long as this concrete floor is an under layer only.

In some countries, like in Spain, we build the house structure with concrete. However, if that were the case you wouldn't have the pipes running through the concrete floors, they'd be running in the walls instead.

So, if this is only a layer of concrete over your house structure that was laid for flooring purposes, it will be fine. It'll be simply hard work to get rid of the whole concrete. If this is the case the concrete layer it'll be only an inch or two.

Otherwise bring in a builder to have a look and give you the right directions, you don't want to mess with the house structure.

manoloK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:24 AM   #3

Well, it took a while, but I've removed the concrete subfloor from the bathroom. The tile was set in a layer of concerete about 3/4" thick, and that layer was on top of another layer of coarser concrete. All total, there was about 2.5 - 3" of concrete on the floor. Underneath were 1/2" planks between the joists, set on nailer boards. They had grooved the tops of the joists to form a well for the concrete, so the tops were triangular. I can't rest the new plywood subfloor on those, so I'll be screwing in sister joists to those. It was a major, time-consuming, dirty job, and I wouldn't recommend it to anybody who didn't have to do it. I've now got the new plumbing roughed in, and the bathroom is back to nearly functional. BTW, same story with the walls ... tile set on a layer of concrete over a concrete/metal lath. Those are also all done, and I'm putting up greenboard.
dascreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:56 AM   #4

Hi dascreek,

Nobody said it'd be easy

Good job, well done.

Manuel :p
manoloK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Sounds like you are on the right path dascreek! Not sure if you were able to use anything from this site or not but I am sure someone will be able to use you experience if they have the same problem. Great job and keep us up to date!!

Also thanks for you input manolok!!

Thanks
daman3178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:35 AM   #6

Okay, how can I decorate a basement apartment? Adding to my troubles-we have wood walls in all but the bathroom and kitchen! Since we rent this apartment, and are on a budget, major renovations are out of the question for the most part. It's kind of drab and dismal...I would love track lighting but know the landlord would never in a million years pay to have it installed.

tiffanym is offline   Reply With Quote