Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2014, 06:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Remove adhesive from tile floor?

We pulled up most of the carpeting in our back sunroom and were planning on replacing with vinyl, but stopped when we saw a layer of felt instead of an actual pad. We thought the felt was glued to plywood so we were going to let the flooring folks remove the rest of the carpet, the plywood, etc, when they replaced the flooring. The guy just measured, and upon tugging up a corner of the felt, discovered it was glued to a tile floor, not plywood! The felt is pretty easy to pull up, so I'd like to check out the tile's condition and try to save it. The tiles look to be about 9" but that's all we can tell. Can anyone recommend a good way to clean the adhesive off the tile without damaging it? The home is almost 60 yrs old, we've been in it about 17 yrs and the carpeting had been there when we moved in so the glue has been there a while.

Many thanks!

KJ

kjwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

9" tile's, that old, there mostly likely asbestos tiles.
Far better to come up with a plan B and just cover them up.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:42 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 8

I agree with Joe--remove the old tile or cover it--but do not sand or try to clean it--

We'll help guide you on removal if that is your wish.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:58 PM   #4

Thanks, guys. I don't want to mess with asbestos! We'll go back to replacing with vinyl. Would have loved to save the floor, but, on the bright side:
A) I won't spend hours on my hand and knees
B) We can let the flooring guys finish the carpet removal, do floor prep, and put in the vinyl, so my part in this is done and all my husband has to do is write the check!
Old 02-03-2014, 01:52 PM   #5

Looks like I got way too happy WAY too soon. Home Depot won't install the vinyl until tiles are tested (I ordered a kit) and removed if positive for asbestos. How would w
e remove these ourselves without contaminating the our pets, ourselves, and the rest of the house? The room in question is basically a 10'x16' rectangle with 2 doors. One is a normal door on one short side that goes directly into the kitchen. The other is on one long side and is your typical sliding glass patio door that goes directly into the livingroom. Idealy, I'd love to leave the mess alone and just install new flooring on top of the file - maybe a "floating" floor?
Old 02-03-2014, 02:09 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Are they just flat smooth linoleum tiles?
Got a picture?
If there just glued down smooth tiles you can go right over it with engineered nailed down flooring if there's plywood under it.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:54 PM   #7

I took a closer look and it does look like thin, flat tiles attached to wood - I'm assuming it's plywood. I'm adding 2 pics. Home Depot will NOT do anything that involves messing with the tiles if they are indeed asbestos, including something as simple as nailing stuff down through them. We've never attempted to install any type of flooring ourselves and are clueless as to our options. The first pic is a piece of tile attached to a sliver of (ply?)wood. The second is a side view of the floor. The tile on top, next is the (ply?)wood it's attached to, and the silvery bar on the bottom is the frame of the sliding door.

Home did say they could do a floating floor with no problem but this room is heavily used by pets and has the litter boxes in it. I'm worried that cat urine might seep through the seams in the tiles or planks and I won't be able to clean it up.

Any and all suggestions would be most welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
Remove adhesive from tile floor?-2014-02-03-14-51-50_photo-1-.jpg   Remove adhesive from tile floor?-picsplay_1391470586899.jpg  

Last edited by kjwil; 02-03-2014 at 06:39 PM. Reason: forgot to add photos
Old 02-03-2014, 06:07 PM   #8
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 8

Is there a heat duct or some hole that will let you see the layers of flooring?

Often the sheet goods or tile are attached to a layer of 1/4" plywood underlayment---if that is the case--removal becomes a simple matter of pulling up tile and underlayment in one---
Old 02-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #9

Yup! I forgot about 1 air vent on the floor!
Old 02-03-2014, 09:50 PM   #10
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjwil View Post
Looks like I got way too happy WAY too soon. Home Depot won't install the vinyl until tiles are tested (I ordered a kit) and removed if positive for asbestos. How would w
e remove these ourselves without contaminating the our pets, ourselves, and the rest of the house? The room in question is basically a 10'x16' rectangle with 2 doors. One is a normal door on one short side that goes directly into the kitchen. The other is on one long side and is your typical sliding glass patio door that goes directly into the livingroom. Idealy, I'd love to leave the mess alone and just install new flooring on top of the file - maybe a "floating" floor?
Find another store. The EPA always recommended to us that we cover asbestos tile when possible. It is completely safe when covered.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:59 PM   #11

I'll shop around, Rusty, thanks. Can anyone tell me if the tile or planks used as floating flooring lets liquids seep through the seams? I still want a solid sheet of vinyl, but if I can't get it, floating may be my only option. Will be getting the asbestos kit in the mail within the next few days. It would be so wonderful if the test is negative, but I'm not going to hold my breathe.

Tags
adhesive, tile, vinyl