Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2007, 11:03 AM   #1

Share |

Reinforcing floor for Frontload Washer

I just moved from a small house on a slab foundation, to a 2700 square foot log house on a conventional foundation I helped my dad build 20 years ago. I have a HE frontload washer on the first floor. I have leveled that sucker to the point that it seems the bubble is between the lines no matter which direction I have the level going on top of the washer. However, when running the washer(spin cycle) it shakes the floor considerably. Especially the computer room on the second floor directly above. That room actually shakes more than the wash room itself. The washer sits about 8 inches from an interior wall. The vibrations seem to travel up this wall to the computer room which shares it.

I tried using KE Shake Away pads, which are about 1" thick and 2" square. They are supposed to be just for this purpose. However, I could not detect a single bit of improvement. I then crawled under the floor and tried(tried is the operative word) to reinforce the flooring directly underneath the washer using joist bridges. I'm about as far from being a handyman as you can get(my 9 year old son thinks I am Mr. Fixit, but I won't be able to fool him much longer), but my wife swears she can tell a difference. The jury is still out as far as I am concerned.

Would adding some posts under the floor help? If so, since I am just trying to add strength, not replace strength, could I just use some floor jack posts?

I read on one forum to use a stall mat under the washer. Would having this entire mat of 3/4" industrial strength rubber under the washer, be better at absorbing the vibrations than the four little 2" square pads?

Do I just need to resign myself to the fact that when my washer goes into spin my computer room is just going to shake?

Last edited by jstrickland; 10-29-2007 at 11:08 AM.
jstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:47 AM   #2

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips?
Old 11-02-2007, 05:39 PM   #3

I know....take the washer out and build a sand box so that the washer will sit inside the box on sand. You'll have no worries ever again unless you have a cat. All joking aside, You have four legs with adjustable inserts to turn in or out that control the height don't you? If only the front no problem either. Go with plan A the sand box if this doesn't work, OK?? Take the washer out, take a short level { 30 inch would be great } and lay it down so you can see if your floor is out of level. Raise the level until the bubble is level. Now measure that distance from the floor to the level. Now you can turn your legs in the back all the way up if adjustable. Depending on whcih side is lower.....adjust that side of the legs to the height that was found out with the level. Repeat process for the front of the washer. Should be right on....Good Luck....."The Col."
localtradesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:57 PM   #4

It's true that a sand base makes a great mount for machinery that vibrates alot, like large scroll saws. I've had those mounted on a piece of 3/4" plywood, and the plywood floats in a box of sand that is exactly the same size (inside dimensions) as the plywood. The plywood sits on 4" of sand, and that mass absorbs a whole lot of wiggle. Make the box flexible enough that it will conform to any unevenness in the floor, with shimming for major inconsistencies.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by localtradesman View Post
I know....take the washer out and build a sand box so that the washer will sit inside the box on sand. You'll have no worries ever again unless you have a cat. All joking aside, You have four legs with adjustable inserts to turn in or out that control the height don't you? If only the front no problem either. Go with plan A the sand box if this doesn't work, OK?? Take the washer out, take a short level { 30 inch would be great } and lay it down so you can see if your floor is out of level. Raise the level until the bubble is level. Now measure that distance from the floor to the level. Now you can turn your legs in the back all the way up if adjustable. Depending on whcih side is lower.....adjust that side of the legs to the height that was found out with the level. Repeat process for the front of the washer. Should be right on....Good Luck....."The Col."
Sorry it took so long to respond. I had this topic marked for automatic email notification, but it never came.

I have used a level, and have that bubble in the middle no matter which direction I have it going. Therefore, I feel confident in saying the washer is level. I read on LG's site that the adjustable feet should not be turned more than four rotations to level. If more is required, purchase some rubber feet to put on them. I did that. Still no good luck. The interesting thing is, I can stand in the wash room directly in front of the washer, while it is going at 1300rpm, and hardly feel a vibration. However, when I am in the computer room above, everything is shaking like an earthquake has struck.

Do people really use sandboxes under appliances to absorb vibrations? Would sand absorb better than a 3/4" industrial rubber stall mat? Would a stall mat absorb vibrations better than the four 2 inch square Shake Away pads would. My father-in-law says "no." He said the vibrations go straight down, so a mat that covers the entire floor under the washer would not help anymore than these small pads. I am thinking that while the vibration is traveling directly from the washer to the pads from four small feet, that the absorption would be better with a full mat. My thinking is that once hitting the small pads, the what vibrations can't be absorbed then go to the floor and up the walls. However, with a full mat the vibrations would spread thru the mat and be better absorbed. Is there any truth to my theory, or am I just smoking crack?
Old 07-09-2008, 08:40 AM   #6

I had the same idea about a mat underneath the whole washer but,I used the small pads (Shake Away) and they worked for me. Jon Eakes (Canadian home inprovement guru) reccommended theses pads on his website, wrote about them in his articles, talked about them on his radio show. I found his website very infromative: www.joneakes.com

I found that the small pads make it easier for me to clean around and underneath my machine.

Don't mean to sound like a commercial....I just know how frustrated I was with my wahingmachine and I am so aprieciative of the solution.

For what its worth.
homeownertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:45 AM   #7

You've surely considered this, but just in case you haven't: do you really need all of 1300 RPM to spin the clothes? That's actually pretty damaging on the fabric. Maybe if you try bringing that down to 1200 or less, you'll find the problem is alleviated?
dragonness is offline   Reply With Quote