Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2007, 06:50 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to mischka222
Share |
Question

Refinsihing Hardwood Floors

OK - first timer on the flooring refinishing project. All went well - from the sanding to the staining. Quiet pleased with Husbands handywork, although I supervised. Only problem was the first coat of polyurethane we put on. We waited over 24 hours before we started the poly - Louisiana humidity and all.....Husband was using a synthetic applicator (instructions said either lambswool or a synthetic pad for the oil based poly). Took a couple of days to dry completely due to the weather, but there are some spots that are really shiny in comparison to the other. (satin finish poly was used). The marks look like where we stopped the applicator pad and maybe picked up more poly to start again although we did try very hard to "feather" as we went. Now - if I come back and do a light sanding and use the same technique as before - will the same thing happen? Should I use a different applicator? Should I just give up and call a pro? I figure I have at least 2 more coats to go but we have decided to wait till the weather is a bit better - since there seems to always be a chance of rain every 3 days around here right now and can't miss out on that much golf on the good days now can we?.
Would really like my room back as soon as possible, but I want to do this right since I have 3 more rooms to go!

mischka222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischka222 View Post
We waited over 24 hours before we started the poly - Louisiana humidity and all.....
Did you shake or stir the can of ploy before application?

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:52 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to mischka222

stirred - no bubbles that i saw. (used the minwax pamphlet from HD to ensure our success - ha)
mischka222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:59 AM   #4
jan

Satin poly requires a really good stirring to get the flatting agent well mixed with the clear. Stir a lot before you start and stir as you go. Sand the floor lightly and continue. The two more coats that you're planning shouild even things out.
jan is offline   Reply With Quote