Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2008, 12:07 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Refinishing square cut side of 2x6 T&G for flooring

The ceiling/flooring over our kitchen and bathroom is 2x6 t&g. Our bedroom upstairs uses the un-beveled side of the t&g as flooring. We would like to clean it up, sand, re-finish it for a rustic floor. Is there a good way to seal in between the boards? It is not perfectly installed. I can see daylight through some of the seams. If liquid is spilled, it would drip through. Is there some kind of filler we can use that could then be sanded and finished along with the wood to create a floor without seams? The filler would be fine if a look of "chinking" could be created.
cowbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:13 PM   #2

Refinishing square cut side of 2x6 T&G for flooring

I put in a very "rustic" grade of hickory on my new house, it had lots of knot-holes, splits, planing marks, etc. I filled any thru-holes with construction adhesive (like regular liquid nails, not the urethane) but don't fill the void all the way, and let it dry thoroughly. If you've got splits inbetween the planks this would be important before the next step. Then I took fiberglass resin, mixed in a little dark stain to color it before adding the hardner, and filled up all the voids - splits, knot-holes, wormholes, everything. When it's hardened, come back in with a hand sander and rough paper to knock it down to floor level where it can be sanded with the rest of the floor.

Worked great - polyurethane sticks to it great, and so far it's stayed put (3 years). My Dad just had to use some regular wood filler in a few places just to show me it would be easier - all of those places have popped out from expansion/contaction.
o_jay66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor re-finishing, flooring, tongue and groove floor