Refinishing Hardwood Floors - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2008, 02:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 518

Refinishing Hardwood floors

I am wanting to refinish my hardwood floors in some of the rooms. I have done a lot of research on this but still have some questions. One is that in some of the rooms there are a few gaps in the pieces of hardwood, how big of a gap is acceptable if any? If these gaps are not acceptable what is the best method for fixing this problem? Also there is some leveling cement around some of the edges under the carpet, i think i can just sand this down unless someone knows different? I'm sure i'll have some more questions but just trying to figure out if refinishing is even possible right now, hopefully it is! Thanks

Advertisement

ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Depending on the size of the gap, you typically fill in the space by patching in new wood. That can be tricky in terms of how it blends, but if you're adding a colored stain to the floor it should work fine. Otherwise you just find wood that matches as best you can. Here's an article that can help, too.

http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/building/flooring/refinishing-hardwood-floors.php

Advertisement

Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 05:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 518

Thanks for the repley. guess i will be replacing some wood cause there are some gaps bigger than 1/8 inch or so. It will be a colored stain so hopefully it will blend decent. Thanks for the link
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote