Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2007, 11:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Refinishing Hardwood Floors

I previously had some of my floors refinished with another company and was advised the commercial water based sealant was better than the oil, and therefore cost more. I was charged $2.75/sq foot. Their prices were $2.00/sq foot for oil, $2.50/sq foot for water, and $2.75/sq foot for commercial water based sealant.

Recently, I had different company quote me $1.50/sq foot for an oil based sealant. Is the oil based finish as good as water? I was told there is no difference except for the strong oder with the oil product. I am not sure what to believe...

I did some quick internet reasearch that indicates the water sealant is better quality in that it won't get discolored, and that it has less odor.

How can I determine the quality of sealant used? I asked him, and was told that the sealant he uses can not be bought at Home Depot, but only purchased at wood stores. Is there any way to tell was is good and what is crap?

I sincerely appreciate both responses and any that may follow. Also, is ther any additiional informatiion that i should be concerned with before work is started?

Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 03:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

I prefer oil based...but then i prefer oil based paint...

either way...i think you will need at least two...and preferably three coats

I have always liked MinWax products.... just had good luck with them.

I also dis-like gloss finishes.... prefer satin. But we have a dog and a lot of grit

lee polowczuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

I refinish many hardwood floors here in Iowa. I'm not a pro, just do it on the side.
I prefer oil based poly. I have really good luck and like the price of min-wax. I also use varathane. The varathane tends to be more brownish/golden tint in the poly.

I always do 3 coats. 1st coat is always gloss. I was told a while back that the gloss has more polymers than semi-gloss, or satin, so it fills better??
I dunno if its true, but I have good luck and plenty of customers doing it this way.
Also $1.50 sq/ft is pretty inexpensive. How many coats are they offering for this price? Look at previous jobs or call references
good luck
What have I done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:32 PM   #4
Bathtub Refinisher

Rewards Points: 25

www.peteshardwoodfloors.com
Very good and informative site

Mike
tubguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:08 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Thanks again guys. I made a decision, and wil be having my hardwoods refinished next week. After calling a couple of companies, and doing some internet research, I have decided on having a Swedish finish applied. The cost is will be $1.75 for areas that will be natural, and $2.00 for areas that will have stain applied.

If anyone is looking to have floors refinished, research the Swedish finish. I don't think that it is a DIY job though. I understand that it is very difficult to apply, and that is a reason why a lot of companies don't offer it.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote