Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2010, 12:34 PM   #1

Share |

Refinishing hardwood floor with existing nail holes

Hi everyone. I want to sell my house so I can move South. The house is over 100 years old and the hardwood floors were in bad shape (warped in some areas and wider spacing between the planks). I thought it was unsalvageable so I told the contractor to put half inch plywood on all the floors for carpeting. I've since found out that buyers don't want carpeting and in this market I want the house to look as appealing as I can afford to make it. Let me say that I have already put almost 100,000 into the house over the course of 4 years and I am running out of money so I am trying to cut down on the remaining costs. I started this rehab before the market downturn.

I want my contractor to remove the plywood and sand the floors. I figure this is the least expensive way to go. However, each 4x8 sheet of plywood has about 25 or so screws in it. The contractor said that he can remove the plywood, use wood filler on the screw holes, sand the floor and stain it with a dark stain so the holes won't show. With about 2000 square feet of flooring to do there will be a lot of holes to cover up. I can't visualize how this will look and I don't know what to do. I have looked at laminate and would not want to pay more than $1.00 per square foot for it (on sale). Hardwood is out of the question due to the cost. Anyway, has anyone had this problem? How did it look afterwards? Is this doable or will I have a floor with thousands of dark or light dots on it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

doglover55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:07 PM   #2

http://www.timbermate.com/timbermate...-on-the-market

This stuff is troweled on during the refinishing process.

240sx4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
40+yrs Paint Trades

Don't go too dark. A dark floor absorbs light, makes the house gloomy. Try to stay as light as possible.
hoz49 is offline   Reply With Quote